First Glance

Chapter 1
As I look down at my watch the time reads 9:30 the next bus comes at 9:45. I walked into the Starbucks ordered my chia tea then hurried for the bus. I wasn't a big coffee drinker, only because my mother drunk coffee like a fish till the day she died. She pasted away from the AIDS virus two years ago. When she found out she was in shock, we were all surprised.

Except for the people at her job and the hair salon, and basically all over town. My dad wasn't the faith-fullest man in the world but he loved my mother and all the things she did for him. When things were good they were good but when it was bad you just didn't want to be in the mixed. So many times me and my brother went to sleep from the sound of screaming instead of peaceful wind dances in the sky.

Sipping on my tea as the bus pulls up, I smiled when I saw my favorite bus driver pull up. "hey Lois, you look amazing today like always" Lois looked at me with an evil mug then let out small giggle. "Kia I'm in a good mood this morning because Charles told me to play the number this morning" Lois laughed while closing the door behind me.

Lois and I chatted about her husband Charles, who was a retired postman for about 35 years, my job at the Nubian Loft, and me finally leaving Baltimore. The bus came to a stop and Lois opened the door then spoke, "Here you are miss lady.. but before you leave give me one of those good ass quotes that I can say all day." I flipped to page 7 of my journal and said, "black skies show pain while blue seas scream paradise, my blood drips with pain and paradise so I guess you could say im a hybrid mixture of everything your feeling." I closed my book and walked off the bus and took a deep breath,

"I hope Charles is right about today being a good day."

****************************

I threw my now cold tea in the trash and put my bag thru the scanner and walked thru the security gate. My boss Lara had these stupid security people come in to protect no one but her damn self. Some years back while working out of her home, someone broke into her house looking for her personal information and tax records but got her writings and designs instead with her now million dollar worth magazine company, "NuBC Chronicles." She swears "if it happened once it'll happen again" but in my opinion she's overreacting and just lucky they didn't get what they came for. 

I decided to take the stairs to avoid the crowd elevators and besides I was only on the 4 floor anyway. Speaking to everyone I saw regardless if they responded, I was determined to have a good day. My medium size office shadowed Lara's who office was almost the size of a master bedroom. The other cubicles fell in between the both of ours making it easier for the rest of the employees to make as little communication as possible with her. When I got in my office, I put my bag under my desk and opened my laptop and almost began working until Lara walked in. Wearing what looked like new all black six inch heels with a tight, v-cut, red dress. Lara must've had on a push-up bra because her boobs were popping out the top of the dress.

"Kia you seem to be in a good mood today did someone get some action last night?" I rolled my eyes and shook my head No. She walked to closer and did a 360 spin, "So how do I look? You know we have that meeting with the Writers Bureau this morning, and I gotta make sure our company is the best looking." I pulled out my note pad, favorite purple pin, and grabbed my computer. When I got up Lara screamed, almost making me drop all my things, "what's wrong Lara?" she step back dramatically and said, "that nude looks great on you... you keep it up and I might can hook you up with one of the men at this meeting."

Lara always thought she "needed" to hook me up with someone, but the truth is I was somewhat happy alone. Of course you want someone to ask you how was your day and to cook for once after a long day but with a job like mine I just don't have time for all that. We walked down the hall and went into the conference room and sat on the left side of the room.