Chapter One: What's Her Problem?

Space is cold and barren, no oxygen and no known life in all of the lengths of it. But starting in 2035, the US government sent a group of two males and two females into space for a 365 day test period. Eventually, the government was able to easily get spacecraft for recreational use, and the Space Age began in 2063. But then, in 2065, World War III had begun. Due to all of the nuclear fallout, Earth was no longer inhabitable, and the peace pact of the world migrated to Mars, in an artificial simulation of Earth. But, two kids, who eventually blossomed into adults, left. They had known each other since adolescence, and grew to be best friends. Now, they go on a space filled journey with frantically beating hearts and space cats. Who knows what'll happen?

Adelaide shuffled into the common room, dropping face first onto the couch. She let out a big groan, sighing in discontent.

"What's your problem?" Jake asked, looking at Addie's form on the couch next to him.

"The universe hates me..." She flopped on her back, putting her hand to her forehead dramatically. "I'm not worthy of good health and demeanor."

"Hmm, that sounds nice." He said lazily, closing his eyes and relaxing on the couch.

She looked up at him with pleading eyes. "Permission to use you as a pillow?"

"Yeah, sure." He replied without opening his eyes.

Addie shifted over to rest her head on his lap, curling up in fetal position. "O my comrade, if only you understood the pains of being me..."

"Ha! Yeah, okay." Jake said, dropping an arm to lay across her and finally opening his eyes. "Feeling dramatic today, are we?" He said with amusement.

"My emotions are mixed, my energy depleted, and my body is steadily draining away..." She sighed, frowning and curling up more. "I needed a sense of warmth, and luckily you provide it."

"Oh, so that's what it's like to be a girl. I'm glad I'm not then." He said, closing his eyes again, getting in a comfortable position.

"Yes..." She yawned, her eyes slipping shut. "Be very grateful."

"If you wanted warmth, you could have gone to Doubt. He is a heavy cuddler." Jake said, lightly poking her arm.

"Psh, not that furball. You're much better." She rolled her eyes, blowing her hair out of her face.

"Excuse me, but Doubt is not a furball. You keep talking that way about my cat and you will never have a pillow again." He said seriously. Turning his head towards the door, Jake whistled waiting for the cat to come trotting in.

"Nooo Jakeeee~" She clung tighter to him. "I'm sorry~!"

After a couple of seconds, a small furry creature came into the room and jumped onto the couch next to Jake, purring loudly. "Your apology is not accepted." He said, reaching over to pet the cat.

"I'm so sorry my lord and savior Jake Weingarten~! Please forgive me for my implorable actions against the best kitty in the world~!" She fake pleaded with him, putting on an apologetic face.

Jake turned his attention down to her, still stroking the cat's head affectionately. "I may have to forgive you now. Hmm...Lord Jake...Has a nice ring to it, no?" He said in a playful tone.

"Such a nice ring." She mused, yawning again.

"If you're so tired, why don't you go to bed? I mean, it's getting a little late anyways." He said, taking note of her fatigued state.

"But I don't wanna leave my warmth..." She pouted, turning her face to look up at him and giving Jake a pleading expression.

"If you fall asleep on me, I won't hesitate to get up and let you fall." He said sternly. "I care about you, but I won't stay still for much longer."