Chapter Four: Dangling by a String

Jake woke up fairly early the next day, forgetting Adelaide was sleeping with him and rolled over, half of his body on her. After a couple seconds, he realized what he was doing and pulled away quickly, startled by the other person in bed next to him.

Adelaide, still half asleep, reached out for Jake unconsciously, grabbing ahold of the front of his shirt.

He looked down at her hand, confused as to what to do. "Addie?" He said barely above a whisper.

She reached out more for him, scooting closer and grabbing his shirt with two hands now, letting out a tiny whimper.

"Um, Addie?" He said, his voice now a whisper, his eyes looking at her with confusion and concern.

"Jake..." She softly whimpered his name in her sleep, still reaching out for him.

Jake glanced around, even more confused. "Are you still sleeping? What's wrong?" He asked in his normal voice, giving up trying to be quiet and bringing a hand up to grab onto one of her hands.

She blindly took the hand and held it close to her chest, wrapping her arms around his arm.

"Adelaide?" He asked, unsure of what to do. He let her hug his arm, trying to stay still.

Addie kept the arm close to her, snuggling up against it. She sighed in content, her mind fading away to soft snores, but still holding on to his arm.

Deciding that she was fine, Jake wrapped his other arm around her getting into a comfortable position. He relaxed against her but didn't fall back asleep.

She buried herself further into him, letting go of the arm in exchange for his warm chest.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked, looking down at her. Doubt woke up at this moment and decided to crawl up their bodies and lay right above their heads, laying down and going back to sleep.

Addie hummed in content at the warmth, clutching onto him, not wanting to let go.

"Okay then." He pulled one hand away from her to scratch behind the cat's ear, still baffled by Addie's actions.

Suddenly her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the lights that had been turned on in the room. She looked up at Jake with a serene expression before realizing everything, Addie nervously scrambling away from him, and managing to fall on the floor in a fit of apologies. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry! Gahhh-!"

"Why are you sorry?" He asked, even more confused as to why she was on the floor so suddenly. He pulled himself up and crawled to the edge of the bed, looking down at her. "Are you good?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm just sorry for clinging...I know it's a bit weird but..." She apologized again, flushing crimson.

Jake put a hand down to help her up off of the floor and back into bed. "It wasn't weird really, just concerning. I thought something was wrong. You were whimpering and stuff."

"O-Oh..." She recalled the dream she was having. "It was probably just me sleep talking..."

He went to lay down again, still very close to Addie without realizing. "Was your dream okay?"

"Yeah, it's no big deal." She waved him off, not having to look up at him for once.

"Are you sure? You kept saying my name so I thought you were awake but you weren't so I got worried." Jake looked over at her, a questioning look on his face.

"Yeah, nothing to worry about. It was just a dream after all." She dismissed his concerns, putting on a reassuring smile.

"Okay." He dropped the subject, yawning loudly. He stretched his arms out above his head, small squeaks slipping out as he did so.