Scene 2- Wife's Agony

Scene 2 (Bangalore)

"It's been fifteen days since I heard anything from my husband" cried a woman before the Superintendant of Police (SI). Next to her stood a seven year old girl sobbing that she never met her father in the past fifteen days.

"Ma'am, please be patient we are investigating the case. All we have is that he went to Mysore to meet his friend and our department officials have sent a two member team to get details of his activities there." said the SI politely.

"How could you be such a stone-hearted git! Enough of your excuses! I am telling you that we haven't heard from him at all. None of his friends know his whereabouts since he left from Mysore. The investigation that you are making is far more juvenile than mine. Would you be giving such flippant answers if  a politician/ industrialist/ for that matter your relatives had gone missing?" yelled the woman.

"Enough of your emotional blackmail! We are not sitting and counting our pubic hairs here! We recieved the compliant from you only five days ago! What were you doing the past ten days without any news from your husband?" shouted the Police Officer. "Huh! We are the only department who do not have leaves/holidays like the others. We are always at your services at any given time. We are not wizards to teleport him. We understand your feelings, please be patient and your co-operation is valuable to us."

The woman weeps and goes out with her kid. In the meanwhile a constable comes with a sheet of paper with some information on this case that was faxed to them by the two-member team from Mysore. Looking at the sheet of paper, the Superintendant is taken aback.

"We have to start tonight for the Bandipur Tiger  Reserve. I will go to the local office of the Ministry of Environment and Forests to obtain a sanction letter. You take a copy of this letter to the City Commissioner's office (Bangalore City) so that he would arrange for a special squad" said the SI.

"Sir, should we have to inform the family of the deceased?" asked the constable.

"No. Not until we go there and confirm it. You just saw how that lady reacted. It would be unwise and immature to inform her that her husband was killed by a wolf. Let us have the facts accumulated." Saying this, the SI started to the Ministry for the sanction letter.