Angels Among Us

*Demi’s POV*

     “Miyah Kaitlyn Lovato! Where are you? I know you hate Mondays, everyone does, but this is so childish and immature” I yelled throughout Miyah’s bedroom.  It was time for her to go to school and she was hiding from me.  I check under the bed and in the bathroom and don’t find her.  I turn around and notice that her closet door is opened just a crack.  Got ya!  I slowly walked over to the closet and opened the door to be greeted by my shaking daughter.  What the fuck?  She was in the corner with her knees to her chest and tears streaming down her cheeks.  I immediately sprung into action.

     “Miyah, baby, match my breathing. In, out, in, out” I tell her as she tries to breathe.  She looks up at me with eyes as big as saucers.  Is she scared of me?  I kneel down and sit by her.  I start singing hoping that it will help her calm down.

     “I was walking home from school on a cold winter day. Took a shortcut through the woods and I lost my way. It was getting late and I was scared and alone when a precious baby boy took my hand and led me home.  And momma couldn’t see him, oh but he was standing right there and I knew in my heart he was the answer to my prayers” I sang the first verse of Angels Among Us as Miyah calmed down and snuggled into my lap.

     “I’m so sorry Momma” she whispered hugging me.  Actually, it was more like she had a death grip on me, but I accepted it.

     “Why? It isn’t your fault you had a panic attack. You have anxiety baby” I tell her.

     “I didn’t come to you for help. I gave in and I let them w-win” she stuttered as she finished.  Now I’m worried.  What did she give in to?  Is she okay?"

*Miyah’s POV*

     “What do you mean you gave in sweetie?” Demi asked worried.  I didn’t want to tell her but I have to, she’s my mom.  I slowly let go of her waist and lifted my sleeve up above my elbow.  While I showed her my arm all I could see were black dots and I had a huge migraine.  I clung back on to her to try and stop the room from spinning.

     “Oh honey, you’ve never done it vertically before, not that horizontally isn’t bad, but still” she said sadly while burying her face in her hands.  I did it vertically because I wanted to just end it all and be done with this life.

     “M-mommy, h-help me-e. I see b-black d…” I managed to get out before I passed out.

*Selena’s POV*

     “It’s going to be okay Dems, she’ll be fine” I tell her.  I’m worried about Demi; she hasn’t been this depressed since 2010 before she went into treatment, a little over three years ago.  Demi called me two hours ago saying that Miyah was in the hospital and we have been in the waiting room ever since.  I sat on the couch holding Demi in my arms while she sobbed.  She was lying on my lap with her arms around my waist and her face buried in my shirt.  I stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.

     “Lovato?” a nurse asked around the room.  Demi refused to move so I scooted out from under her and stood up.

     “Yes?” I ask.

     “Isn’t your last name Gomez?” He asked me suspiciously.

     “Um, well yes.  I’m with her” I said pointing to the shaking Demi.  “We are practically family and she isn’t very stable right now as you can clearly see” I state.