The curious case of Roger Monroe [1]

Roger Monroe

The name has spread like the plague throughout McKellian High. Heath could almost see the name floating carelessly from the tips of the numerous, nameless stranger’s tongues, and it has only been an hour since the creature arrived.

                It’s not like he could say he’s surprised though, the creature seemed to have that effect on everyone.

Safe to say, it irked Heath.

Although he wasn’t a people’s person himself, analyzing others was definitely one of the many strong points the tall boy harbored, so it’s natural for him to feel a bit uneasy around the stranger.

Well, at least he’d like to think so.

Expertly cutting through the swamped hallway, Heath Luann quickly strode to the navy blue locker that contained his belongings as the rest of the world blurred into a thick wave of fog around him.

As the oblivious teenager swiftly twisted the shimmering lock to fit the correct combination, hundreds of teenager’s eyes bore into the back of the wispy locks of blond hair with a look pure awe etched permanently onto their features. It mesmerized them the way the boy held himself tall and proud, carrying a strict air of confidence around him. His godly features that without doubt held an angel’s touch also did not escape their attention, but then again, neither did the fact that the boy did not want nor yearn for their attention.

It seemed that everyone wanted a piece of his god-like perfection, but contrary to popular beliefs, it wasn’t that the boy was oblivious to the wondrous eyes violating his body, he was simply… ignorant.

He was aware of the eyes shamelessly trailing every curve of his body. Aware of the wave of heat that washed over the girls whenever he was nearby and causing their hormones to go ballistic, aware of every ‘accidental’ brush of skin, that were meant to fulfill false hopes of desperate need.

But he simply didn’t care.

Heath felt no attraction whatsoever to anyone--socially or romantically, and his sexual needs were easily fulfilled thanks to the extremely shallow minds of those around him, so he didn’t quite deem it necessary to communicate with the shallow breeds he called classmates, so he simply didn’t.

Unfortunately for him, it didn’t stop people from trying to force him out of his comfortable little bubble.

No matter how many times they felt the searing burn of rejection, the mindless drones would continue to recharge and try again, and again, and again.

It’s quite tiring really.

He usually just ignored them, and continued living his life, but it’s as if god wanted something back for all the perfection Heath has been blessed with, since whenever one got rejected, they came back tripled. It really was a complicated cycle.

Sometimes, he just wished life had an escape button.

                                                                                ------------

Lunch arrived quicker than usual that day, and heath found himself slowly walking towards the enormous cafeteria with Ben babbling useless nonsense into his right ear.

Benjamin Rye was more of Heaths acquaintance than friend and was the only creature stubborn enough to worm his way into Heaths life and stay there. The boys originally met two years ago when Benjamin first transferred to the prestigious high school, and shocked everyone with his abnormally smooth way with words and social nature. He was the type of person that befriended every clique easily looking past all the flaws or rumors people had surrounding them, treating every person as an equal.