Chapter 12:

Sgt. Reed Sr. and his lovely wife Jean both kissed my forehead and politely excused themselves with promises to check up on me.  My boss beckoned for his son, Jimmy to leave as well.

Jimmy stood politely and stated, “Sir if Chief Malloy will agree to let me stay, than I request permission to remain here so that I can keep an eye on Ally. If the individual that had taken a shots at Brinkman and Officer Malloy Jr. hears about the interview, he or she might try to storm central receiving in order to finish the job.”

One look at my father’s face told me that Jimmy’s concerns weren’t all together irrational or unjustly stated. I could tell my father wasn’t any more thrilled about the hypothetical situation that Jimmy had presented than I was. 

Nervously, I turned my gaze to focus on the strong features of Sgt. Reed and his wife. The very color in Jean’s face drained at the incredibly gutsy words her son had spoken. Her sweet caramel and coffee colored eyes shimmered with unspoken fear and her gentle smile lowered into a discouraged frown. The moment her eyes locked on mine, her gaze immediately averted as if she was trying to conceal any terrible truth that might be discovered in their depths.

Sgt. Reed cleared his throat and answered, “Alright, permission will be granted if your God-father agrees to it. The dark haired suave Sgt. stipulated casting an inquisitive glance at the slightly heavier strawberry blond seated protectively at my side.

“Well partner, I think Jimmy here can handle watching over Ally for a few hours while I help conduct the investigation at Henry’s.” He answered reluctantly as he tenderly ran his hand through my hair.

Jimmy smiled at me reassuringly and dutifully answered, “Yes sir, I will make sure no harm comes to Ally while you are away.”

My father bent down and kissed my forehead. “I’m sorry Ally. I know you need me here with you but the investigation requires my help.  Please understand that I don’t want to go.”

I smiled back him knowing he didn’t have much of a choice. Besides, a part of me desperately wanted my father to take down the individual responsible for Brinkman’s death and my injury.

Innocently I replied, “go ahead daddy, I’ll be fine.”

To that remark my father added, “ Promise me that you won’t try to escape.”

“I promise that I won’t make a run for it. Besides, I’m waiting for nurse Kramer to inspect my room for the precinct’s missing doughnuts that aren’t here,” I teasingly remarked with a sheepish grin.

“Jimmy, you take care of her for me. Please. Remember, she is my only child.” My father ordered sternly knowing that he could trust his Godson with my life, even if he abhorred leaving my fate in another’s hands.

“Yes sir. I will protect her with my life,” the sleek and honest officer responded sincerely.

With that my father, Sgt. Reed, and Jean exited the room.