i couldn't save you

you were broken. all those times i tried to save you were pointless because it was your destiny. i inhaled your scent. you made me believe there was something behind the clouds, a place for rest.

poetry books? i only needed you because you were living, breathing poetry. you took a trip. it was a disaster, you never made it beyond the sky and i feared you were lost, wanting to be lost.

spilled ink reminded me of you. look a little closer and see something incredible. life seemed to drain every piece of you. dwindling away, i knew some day there be no more you.

intertwined, holding you. not even human things could make you any less crestfallen. you thought of yourself as a burden. i thought of you as an imperfect miracle, created for me.

i realized i was falling in love. it was an electric feeling but i was scared to fall and never recover. i felt beautiful. you told me that i was gorgeous, even if i looked cripped and old.

missed calls, ignored texts. i layed under the willow tree, watching the leaves sway. in your head, i was growing weary. in my head, i was waiting for you to become jubilant.

you held me and told me you loved me. a crown of flowers in my hair, that was my last memory of you. sunrise came. i found your letter as the birds sang sad songs. i cried until I ran out of tears.

you left me. i looked up to the sky, wondering if you had somehow made it there. were you the fires of hell or a fragment of the sun?

i couldn't save you.