Horthan

Chapter One: Intro   

 His eyes opened to a new day in Skyrim, but today was more than just any ordinary day. Today was the day that he, Horthan, was going to travel to Solitude and join the Imperial Legion. He had never thought this day would actually come. He had always dreamed about this, but never thought his dreams would become reality.

            There was a knock on his door, then came the rough voice of his roommate Narvask, “ Hey, Horthan get up you lazy Nord, let’s get this show on the road.” Horthan replied, “All right you crazy Orc. I’ll be downstairs shortly, don’t get your horns in a knot.”

            Horthan and Narvask have been friends and roommates for quite sometime. They both lost their parents, and raised each other up like brothers. The people of Whiterun thought it was odd. A Nord and an Orc, two completely different races, living together.

            Narvask was a year older and a lot bigger than Horthan, but Horthan was much smarter and quicker. Narvask was built like any typical Orc - short black hair, under bite, green skin, black eyes, big muscles, and he had incredible blacksmithing ability. Whereas Horthan had long blond hair, a broad face, white skin, brown eyes, average size muscles for a teenager, and smarts in the field of one-armed sword fighting.

            Horthan came downstairs to the smell of his friends wonderful cooking, “ So what’s the grub this morning?” he asked. Narvask didn’t reply, he was too busy looking into the pot thinking of what to add next. “Hey, are you deaf! I asked what’s for breakfast?” he said again, getting a little irritated.

            “Huh? Oh you finally got out of bed, did ya. Well if you must know, I’m roasting a mammoth steak with potato soup, seeing as it’s both our birthdays.”

            Horthan just smiled and clapped his hand on Narvask’s shoulder, “ I’m glad we met that day eight years ago.” Narvask also smiled as he poured Horthan’s soup into a bowl.

            The two ate and drank until all the food ran out, and every drop of mead in their tankards was gone. They put on their armor and grabbed their weapons and shields and headed out into Whiterun. The first person they run into was the Jarl’s Court-Wizard, Sarnal.

            “Off to see the Jarl boys?” shouted Sarnal.

            “No, we’re just going to Riverwood to collect herbs.” Narvask said sarcastically.

            Ever since Sarnal became court-wizard, Narvask had lost all respect for him. The boys use to be friends with the old Redguard when their parents were alive, but since he was promoted, Sarnal had been trying everything to send the boys to the orphanage in Falkreath.

            “What my friend here is trying to say,” Horthan said glaring at Narvask, “is that, yes we are going to see the Jarl, to ask him for some gold to pay for our trip to Solitude. We then can fulfill our dream of joining the Imperial Legion.”

            “Ba, you’re wasting your time with them. Since the war against the Stormcloaks was won, they’ve done nothing but sit up in Solitude leaving the rest of Skyrim to rot. Besides what makes you think that the Jarl will give away gold to you two street rats?”

            Horthan could see his friends face fluster with rage at the insult. Quickly, before Narvask could draw his sword, he grabbed hold of Narvask’s arms to restrain him from attacking the old wizard. Narvask wouldn’t stop squirming so Horthan had to use his only Thu’um, or shout, that he knew to stop his friend’s rage.