D E L I R I U M

It finally happened. It was a Tuesday, and we were just laying across each others' bodies. The sun was out, but it was too cold to feel alive.

When he spoke, his voice was just a wheeze, a whisper of what it had been.

"Tell me you like it, Lacey."

I closed my eyes and tried to swallow, but my throat closed up and shrank into itself, along with my sandpaper tongue.

My face was burning, because I knew I couldn't stop the lies from fabricating behind my eyes.

Delicious could not describe the taste, no. It was more like terrifying meets darkness.

Close your eyes, and fade with me, he said. But I couldn't.

Instead, I shoved him off and he yanked away. I turned and ran to the kitchen, the only place where I could be safe. My fingers slid around the handle of a butcher knife, as my eyes slid towards the phone.

Mom, I yelled. I screamed it until he found me, and all that bubbled out of my throat was the blood from my punctured heart.

And just as my eyes begin to close, and my legs could kick no more, she walked through the door, with hands over her eyes.

I will pretend, she sang. And she took his hand, and blew me a kiss and proceeded to kiss him. His hands stroked her face, leaving trails of my blood behind, and I felt the salty water slipping out of my eyes.

Lacey has no one, she sang. Absolutely no one.