Loneliest Decade (CH. 1 Preview)

*Just a little back story. I met and fell in love with a girl almost 10 years ago and no matter how much time passes, I cannot shake her memory. This is my recreation of what I wish would happen if we were to meet again. *

I picked up the phone shaking. The girl I was about to call, I hadn't spoken to in ten years. At least I hoped it would go through. I got her number off of Facebook for Christ's sake. I sat in a chair only to bounce back up again as soon as the phone started ringing. I started to pace. After two rings, I hoped for voicemail. I wasn't that lucky. "Hello?" My mind started hitting the walls. "Hello?" It was her voice and I didn't have to think hard to recognize it. "Hello." I said firmly. Almost as a command than a greeting. "Who is this?" My heart sank a little wishing she remembered the same number I had ten years ago. "Um I...it's Leah" There was silence thick enough to slice with a knife. "Hey!"she said halfheartedly. My heart sank to the floor as I realized she could probably care less that I called. "Um. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, um for a business meeting, you know. I was just wondering if, uh, we could maybe grab a lunch on my day off or something. You know, if you don't have time I completely understand. It's not like I warned you two months out or anything. I mean, why would I anyway?" By then, my nervous giggling had interjected itself into my outpour of stupid words and I felt like a fool. I was still shaking and I was sure she could tell from 2000 miles away. "You know what, I'm not even sure why I called." I started to say. Tears were threatening to fall and I couldn't have that. After all, lunch is for friends, dinner is for lovers right? "I'll leave you to your....life. I'm so sorry." I hung up before she could even say anything. For all I knew she could have already been gone. I started justifying my childish action by convincing myself she had better things to do. The phone didn't ring. I imagined her going back to a dinner with friends who asked her if anything was wrong. She of course proceeded to say nothing and get back with what she was doing before I gathered my courage to call. I didn't feel my call needed any kind of stop the press reaction. I just wish it had gone better. I wished the "Hey!" could have been more genuine, I wished she asked me to sing to her over the phone like she used to do years before.