Spirit Me Away (Book #1 in the PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS series)

ՏƤIℜIƬ MƎ AWAγ

~unedited!~

"The moon."

Juliette gasped and stood still, glancing up at the beautiful silvery orb upon the sky. It stood out well amongst the mix of purples, pinks and oranges as the sun began to rise up and over the opposite horizon.

When Juliette was younger, her mother once lead her out of the house to their back garden and said, "Look Juliette, isn't the sky so pretty?" Juliette just nodded her head in agreement, her chubby toddler cheeks rosy red in the chilly evening breeze. "Promise me you will do this, even when I'm gone. Not many people actually look up and miss out on the beautiful scene that Mother Nature gives us."

Both her parents passed one week after that night.

With one last look upwards, Juliette shook away the unhappy thoughts and reached for her white head phones hanging around her neck, placing the buds back into her ears. The neighbour hood was quite for a Tuesday morning, very few cars past Juliette as she jogged her way down the path on Dodgers Hill and made her way towards Mino's Creek. The scene around her slowly began to fade from a quite residential town to a bushy, woods like terrain while her plain white running shoes lightly smacked across the grassy ground.

Her path through the thick woods was marked by a dirt track that was barely visible through the freshly grown green grass that poked out from the ground in random patches.

The wind picked up quickly and Juliet could even here that it sounded like a chorus of screaming through her ear buds.

Through the dark thick brush, Juliette could just see a white light right ahead. "Yes, there it is." She smiled to herself, her breath turning white as it escaped passed her pink lips.

Juliette began to run harder, pushing herself into a full sprint. It didn't take long, but she finally found herself standing in front of 'Marty's', the small bistro that belonged to the small town next to her own. Juliette worked there to earn her money.

She made her way up to the front door and pushed it open, a huge gust of warm air bombarding her sweating form as she pulled her headphones from her ears. "Miss Amberwood!" An extremely short man who looked about 3 feet tall with barely any hair left upon his head came running up to Juliet, a warm and friendly smile plastered onto his face. "You're not due to come in for another hour!"

Juliet admired how comfortable he looked in his uniform, silky black overalls, a bright red and white stripped shirt and a large top hat that looked bigger than he was. "I decided I could just have a shower in the back change rooms, Mr Manager."

"Please, please. For the thousandth time, call me John." He nodded his head eagerly before running off towards an empty booth, scooping up a pair of half empty mugs of coffee.

Marty's was quite a small business, though it was known widely for great coffee. The floor was made solely of black and white tile which made it look like a chess board and the walls were covered in bright red wallpaper. The centre of the room held the bar and register, while the booths surrounded the walls and the employees only area was through a large wooden door on the back wall.

Only two booths had occupants, one with a young man tapping away at an expensive looking laptop and the other with a mother gently bottle feeding a small baby in her arms.

Dodging a small elderly couple trying to exit, Juliette slowly walked her way to the back of the room, unlocking the employee door. She shrugged off her light blue jogging jacket and kicked off her sneakers, walking over to the tall metal lockers standing in the middle of the room. Juliette opened up her locker, placed her jacket and shoes in and then pulled out her work uniform.