Chapter 1 - Sage

I got up and walked down to breakfast.
"What's for breakfast?" I asked, even though I could sense the stove was on. It was eggs. It was always eggs when the stove was on.

"Eggs," Rebecca, my sister, said. I just nodded, and sat down at the granite island.

"A 'good morning' would be nice," Mom said.

"Good morning," I droned. Rebecca stayed silent.

"Rebecca, is something wrong?" Mom turned over her shoulder. Rebecca looked away, took her plate, and left, probably up to her room. She had been acting weird lately, ever since dad went on that trip.

"Well, she is a teenager," Mom smiled weakly at her joke joke attempt.

"I'm going to my room," I got up without touching my eggs, and went upstairs, leaving Mom's hurt face in my wake.

    =+=

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling. It had been a week since Dad left. I knew there shouldn't be anything to be worried about. He had called 2 days ago, and he was supposed to call today. I looked at the hologram clock to my right, 7:00 PM. Mom was probably downstairs watching her TV show, and Rebecca was probably talking to Joseph, her boyfriend, on the phone.

"Rebecca! Come down here please," Mom called from the kitchen. That's odd, I thought. Mom usually leaves Rebecca alone. I decided to sneak downstairs the back way, so I could listen.

I sat on the couch, by the fireplace, and looked over the back of it towards the study. I noticed that the door was cracked a bit open, so I crawled over and peeked through. The phone was on speaker, between Rebecca and my mom.

"Mrs. Fallenspire?" an unknown voice said through the phone.

"Yes, this is she." Mom answered.
"We are very sorry to say this, but we have reasons to believe that your husband, John Fallenspire, has some Gemsist blood in his system."

"What.... What do you mean? Will he be able to come back?" Mom looked scared.

"As you know, we don't take Gemsist blood symptoms lightly. Your husband will remain in custody until his sentence."

"And what is that sentence?" Rebecca asked.

"Miss and Mrs. Fallenspire, we are very sorry to say this, but he will have to be removed."

"No... No, no no. Not John. No, this isn't right, there has to be some mistake..."

"There is no mistake. We have tested your husband's blood multiple times, and it has Gemsist genes in it. We are very sorry about this."

Gemsist blood? My father? He's going to be removed? Thrown over the wall? Rage filled my body instantly, like a wildfire. They weren't going to take my dad, no way.

I felt heat fill the room, and heard my sister scream. The room was going red and orange, my back burned slightly, and I yelled with rage. Then came the blackout.