Chapter 1 - Beginnings

I urge any reader of this story to post comments to me regarding my writing. I need the criticism. I try to edit some of this before posting but mostly this work will be "off the cuff" and only edited for spelling and grammatical mistakes. I dont have a lot done but I expect to have more in the coming months. I really appreciate all insights and hope to see good feedback from this site.

Chapter 1 - Beginnings

The fall season lay heavily upon the land of Shranelyn, leaves from the trees were scattered everywhere. The winds were beginning to pick up creating one of the chilliest days of the season. Everywhere around the quiet town of Crossings people were working to get ready for the winter season. Each family had responsibilities to the town and was expected to finish with them before the cold set in.

    Taking a break from a full day of town cleanup Raethar shrugged releiving the tension in his shoulders. His father always impressed upon him the importance of having a good work ethic, but some days it was a challenge to maintain. He was finishing clearing the leaves from the statue of the founder, Rinale Droub. There was a moment where colors in the pile of leaves just in front of him seemed to form an image. Bright orange and yellow leaves arranged to look almost like fire surrounded a blurred image of a boy. The face appeared to be that of a local boy named Tavin Hardinay.

Tavin was always in some sort of trouble, weather it was stealing a lemon cake off a plate at town hall, or taking a joy ride on one of his father’s carriges, he created a nuisance wherever he went. One of Raethar’s headaches began to form almost at the same time causing him to wonder if there was something wrong with him. Immediately dismissing this for another of his endless list of fantasies, he shook his head and got back to finishing his work. 

He stood in a plain brown coat, leather boots that had very thin soles after close to a year of use; and a cotton work shirt and pants that seemed too thin in the rapidly dropping temperatures. Raethar had seen almost eighteen summers now and was just beginning to grow into his height. He stood almost a head taller than his father but figured his growth spurt was at an end.

He looked around the square as he worked, seeing the cluster of buildings that was the only place within fifty leagues where you could buy goods from a blacksmith. The other shops in the area were only for travelers and those few who had money in town. There was a grocer, Bran Harding, who often traded to supply the clothing shop he had built onto the local store. The only other one was just recently constructed and owned by the local healer. She had more knowledge of herbs and concoctions for anything wrong with you than anyone within days.

The only reason the town survived was because it was the last stop before reaching Chairin, and so was often guest to merchants, guard patrols, and the occasional wanderer travelling from the west. There was a mountain range just to the north which overshadowed the town with their looming presence. The main peaks of the two mountains that surrounded the town were both oddly curved towards each other.

There was a name given to the only pass which headed through the mountains, though most villagers did not say it out loud. The Ghost Pass was a name that seemed to have been passed down since before anyone still living could remember. During the winter months it was all but impossible to get into even the lowest reaches. It was said that if you got close enough to the peaks you could hear the voices of the people who had died trying to cross during the Blood Wars. Of course the tales were greatly exaggerated, or so most now thought. The pass was now used to frighten the young children when they would misbehave.

Raethar was just finishing up with the last of the leaves when he heard his father, William Bremone. He called to him from the other side of the market square. As he turned to respond his head collided with  the outstretched arm of the statue causing him to wince in pain. Everyone seemed to comment on his height, but that seemed to come from his father who stood a head above almost everyone who lived in the area. He could see his father face cringe at the imagined pain his only child had felt.