Phenomenal Phenomenon

"What does phenomenon mean, sir?"asks a small child, looking up at a man with a kind face, blue eyes and white fuzzy hair.

"Well, let me try and explain" adds the old man.

"Phenomenon means something that is full of colour and light, something powerful, something amazing, something that is majestic, something unusual, something rare, something unique, something big, something truly wonderful. Something mysterious and surprising. Something that you look at in wonder. It is something that happens in the world around us. Something very special!"

"Is a rainbow in the clear blue sky a phenomenon then"? Asks the small child at last. Rainbows are rare and amazing and special too.

What about lagoons and forests and underwater caves? Forests are majestic, caves unique and wonderful with color, sounds and water. Lagoons are full of wonder – here you can find all types of colourful birds, unusual bugs and fantastic fish.

What about adorable sea creatures like the blue jellyfish, enormous killer whales and shapely sea horses too? They are amazing and unique and beautiful!

What about volcanos? I would say they are powerful and definitely big. They can roar loudly and push smoke and ash with great force into the sky, but also be peaceful too. Curious don't you think?

What about the pure and mysterious icy wonderland of the south and north pole? And the happy faced eskimos? These places are full of wonder don't you know?

How about the mysterious unicorn? I am certain it exists.

What about snowflakes falling ever so gently from the sky? They are amazing like sparkling glitter. When snow covers the whole earth like a magnificent white blanket, would you call that a phenomenon?

What about the ever gentle giant creature with a strong trunk and large floppy ears called the elephant? It's my favourite animal you know?

And the elegant humming bird ? Have you ever seen or heard it sing? (child humms like a hummingbird)

And what about the butterflies in different sizes and colors. They flutter about in the sun and make the world more beautiful. Just like the butterflies on the wall in my room.

And what about strong bears both brown and white? Aren't bears just wonderful? Polar bears are especially perfect!

Buzzing bees are small but mighty things and are surely a phenomenon! The sweet honey they make is a miracle for sure. Making honey is a yummy phenomenon I think.

What about the eclipse of the moon or the sun? Cover your eyes, the light is bright.

How about the very loud and powerful Niagara Falls? The giant of all waterfalls. I want to visit this place one day!

What about the pink dolphins of the oceans deep? They are friendly and pink and musical.

How about the Eiffel tower in Paris? Or the Colosseum in Rome?

What about the sparkling white and blue colours of the Greek Islands or whistling winds of Mount Everest?

What about majestic Macchu Picchu and the mighty Inca with their silver and gold?

What about the splendor of the Galapagos Islands with the animals rare? The flamingos are there! They are pink and fabulous!

What about Elvis or the Titanic or Humphrey B Bear?

Aren't these all phenomenal phenomenon sir? Asks the small child?

I am absolutely certain that they all are. Because they are all colourful, gigantic, loud, majestic, wonderful and special to me.

And the old man replied, "A small child is the greatest phenomenal phenomenon of all."

"A small child is full of wonder, curiosity and love! This small child right here (pinching child's cheek playfully) is wonderful and special to me. The wonder of all phenomenona."

The small child smiled and gave the old man a gigantic bear hug and tender butterfly kisses.

"Grandpa, you are phenomenal (but do you always have to pinch my cheek?)!"