|8|

nayeon

"That one looks like a turtle," I claim, pointing at the sky.

"Nah, that's definitely a bear," Jinyoung responds.

"Are you blind? That's obviously a turtle," I argue.

"I think my eyesight is quite good actually. Maybe yours need to be checked," He retorted.

“Don't we need to go back soon? I'm sure classes has started already.”

“I'll use you as my excuse,” He replies.

“Excuse me?”

“You're new; I was just helping you around,” He explains.

“Is that really going to work?” I question.

“I have no idea, but I can try,” He shrugs.

“I thought you were a model student,” I pointedly look at him.

“Every now and then, it's nice to just be outside,” He rests his head against his hands.

"I guess you're right," I nod.

"I'm always right."

I roll my eyes and lay down next to him in the grass.

"So, how did you end up at this school?" I question, watching the sky.

"Did some bad things in my past; got sent here," He shrugs.

"Did your parents send you here too?"

"Nope. I haven't talked to them in years. Got sent here by the police."

"Are you not close with your parents?"

"You sure ask a lot of questions, little one," He comments.

"I am not little," I frown.

"Even you're sister is taller than you, and she's a shorty," He laughs.

"Are you going to answer my question?" I ask, ignoring his statement.

"I can't talk to them because..... they're dead."

There was a few moments of awkward silence between us.

"I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, well, it's what life is," He shrugs.

"You didn't have to tell me. You could've just said it was personal," I say, embarrassed.

"Nah, for some reason I trust you. Sure, I just met you yesterday, but you're still someone who listens and I enjoy your company."

I smile widely at his comment and continue to watch the clouds.

"They died in a car crash. Just when I was about a 8 years old. I survived with minor injuries since I was in the back of the car and the accident affected the front more, where both of my parents sat."

"Everything was surreal during that time period. I just remember getting a cast for my arm and sleeping on the uncomfortable waiting chairs outside my parents' hospital room. They had both gone in a coma, which neither of them woke up from."

"They called my grandma and she had taken care of me from there. I had no other relatives to take me in, so she was the only one who could. She raised me until I was 14."

"What happened when you turned 14?"

"She was old and vulnerable to sickness. She died of a disease that I forget the name of. She was practically my mom. She raised me for 6 years. I watched her on her deathbed, not knowing what to do. Once she left me, I was officially all alone. I was put in an orphanage, but I ran away."