Losing Grip

Chapter ONE

My name is NightShade, I am sixteen, my mother traveled through time twice. I do not know why she named me after a deadly plant.I do have a younger brother named Cypress. Personally, I think that's more normal than NightShade. Hence the abnormality, I go by Shade. My mother still calls me by my real name. I dont blame her. The whole country of Aelview adores it. But anyone who names their child NightShade, NightLock, or Shade after me, the families die of assassination.I guess im an asset to something, because I have a necklace with a flower, a nightshade flower encased in it as my token. Mother says the necklace is important and to keep it laced around my neck. The challenge for me is concealing the powers within myself. My flawless ice can only be used around cameras, and audiences.

"Shadow, mother says its supper time." My younger brother calls me shadow because when we go hunting, I disappear and come back with a full game bag.

"Thank you, Cypress." I say sarcastically. And i obediently retreat to the table for a bowl of squishy fish soup. I gag in my mouth, take a spoonful, and immediately i find the bathroom, and retch in the rusty sink.

I can't talk! The vomit burned my tounge. Mother knows I hate seafood, I think to myself. I can't do this anymore. My mom hates me. And I'm worthless to her. Might as well join the rebels... and their, pack! The Rebel's are better than a family anyway. Fighting for their own lives. Well guess what? I'm going to become a rebel...tonight.