RA 10389

H. No. 5395

Republic of the Philippines
Congress of the Philippines
Metro Manila
Fifteenth Congress
Third Regular Session

Begun and held in Metro Manila, on Monday, the twenty-third day of July, two thousand twelve.

[REPUBLIC ACT NO. 10389]

AN ACT INSTITUTIONALIZING RECOGNIZANCE AS A MODE OF GRANTING THE RELEASE OF AN INDIGENT PERSON IN CUSTODY AS AN ACCUSED IN A CRIMINAL CASE AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled:

SECTION 1. Short Title. – This Act shall be known as the "Recognizance Act of 2012".

SEC. 2. Statement of Policy. – It is the declared policy of the State to promote social justice in all phases of national development, including the promotion of restorative justice as a means to address the problems confronting the criminal justice system such as protracted trials, prolonged resolution of cases, lack of legal representation, lack of judges, inability to post bail bond, congestion in jails, and lack of opportunity to reform and rehabilitate offenders. In consonance with the principle of presumption of innocence, the 1987 Philippine Constitution recognizes and guarantees the right to bail or to be released on recognizance as may be provided by law. In furtherance of this policy, the right of persons, except those charged with crimes punishable by death, reclusion perpetua, or life imprisonment, to be released on recognizance before conviction by the Regional Trial Court, irrespective of whether the case was originally filed in or appealed to it, upon compliance with the requirements of this Act, is hereby affirmed, recognized and guaranteed.

SEC. 3. Recognizance Defined. – Recognizance is a mode of securing the release of any person in custody or detention for the commission of an offense who is unable to post bail due to abject poverty. The court where the case of such person has been filed shall allow the release of the accused on recognizance as provided herein, to the custody of a qualified member of the barangay, city or municipality where the accused resides.

SEC. 4. Duty of the Courts. – For purposes of stability and uniformity, the courts shall use their discretion, in determining whether an accused should be deemed an indigent even if the salary and property requirements are not met. The courts may also consider the capacity of the accused to support not just himself/herself but also his/her family or other people who are dependent on him/her for support and subsistence.

Other relevant factors and conditions demonstrating the financial incapacity of the accused at the time that he/she is facing charges in court may also be considered by the courts for the purpose of covering as many individuals belonging to the marginalized and poor sectors of society.

SEC. 5. Release on Recognizance as a Matter of Right Guaranteed by the Constitution. – The release on recognizance of any person in custody or detention for the commission of an offense is a matter of right when the offense is not punishable by death, reclusion perpetua, or life imprisonment: Provided, That the accused or any person on behalf of the accused files the application for such:

(a) Before or after conviction by the Metropolitan Trial Court, Municipal Trial Court, Municipal Trial Court in Cities and Municipal Circuit Trial Court; and

(b) Before conviction by the Regional Trial Court: Provided, further, That a person in custody for a period equal to or more than the minimum of the principal penalty prescribed for the offense charged, without application of the Indeterminate Sentence Law, or any modifying circumstance, shall be released on the person's recognizance.