Prologue

==PROLOGUE==

She was still sleeping when I heard the sound, it's been so long since I last heard it that I almost thought a tiger was growling low outside my house. Then it hit me, I knew those sounds! I jumped out of the straw bed and grabbed the flare gun as fast as I could, sprinting outside where I was greeted by the others.

"We heard the engines, ran out here as fast as we could, what should we do?" I look over at Tom, our official builder, he's built or assisted in almost every building here.

"You have the flare," I turn around and see little miss Susie, "are you planning to signal them?" I look around at the plane and point the gun up, my finger on the trigger, squeezing slightly..

"John" I freeze in my place, her soft voice reaching me just as her arms wrap around my waste, I didn't even hear her come out, then I hear her whisper, "look at what we have John, at everything we've done here. If you think this is best, pull that trigger, but just look at what you've built first."

I look over my shoulder and see her behind me, her soft black hair covering part of her face. She was right.

"What should we do John?" I look around at the group of people surrounding me, all stranded here just as much as I was, but all of them, family.

I lower the gun, pop the cartridge, and throw it in the bushes. Letting the plane pass, letting our only chance of escape, go.

A year ago I would have taken the shot in a heartbeat, but I'm not who I was a year ago.