Chapter Five: Civility

We lost a day because of a blizzard. It wasn't actually snowing, but the wind gusts were so strong that it disrupted the top layer of ground cover, severely limiting our visibility. I couldn't remember the last time it had snowed, but it was the first day that the weather was so ferocious that we couldn't travel at will. It was also the first day I was really starting to miss our more permanent existence in North Dakota.

My father had already informed us that there would be no traveling that day and that we should catch up on sleep and conserve heat and energy. My grandmother and I were cocooned in our tent, she knitting a scarf while I tried to entertain myself. When we were on the road and had a task to accomplish, I didn't have time to be alone with my thoughts. I thought about survival instead, about putting one foot in front of the other. Without a tangible goal to achieve today like traveling thirty miles or catching small game, I had too much time to think. And all that thinking was making me melancholy.

"Knock, knock." Nora West's voice floated through the material of our tent.

My grandmother gave me an expectant look, clearly not going to be persuaded to stop knitting to open up the tent's zipper door. With a great disgruntled sigh, I hopped up on my haunches and unzipped the tent's doorway just enough to peer through.

"Can I help you?" I asked. I was aware that my voice had taken on an unpleasant tone.

Nora was bundled up in her too-nice jacket, but she wasn't wearing a hat and her strawberry-blonde hair whipped around with each windy gust. She held a collapsible cup in each hand. "Want some company?"

"Not really," I grunted. I hated the way her nose crinkled adorably when she asked a question.

My grandmother jabbed me in the ribs with her knitting needles and flashed me a look that told me to Be Polite. "Fine," I sighed. I moved away from the doorway so Nora could come inside the tent. "Come on in."

"I brought coffee," Nora said cheerfully. "I don't have much left, but I figured what better way to thank you all for saving us than with some caffeine?" The warm, distinct aroma surrounded her like a cloud and wafted into the tent as she ducked her head and stepped inside.

I quickly zipped the tent back up to keep in the heat. Even with icy blizzard winds whipping around outside, with our combined body heat it was actually kind of cozy inside the tent.

Nora sat down on top of my sleeping bag and folded her long legs beneath her. I withheld the desire to roll my eyes regardless of how much I wanted to. This girl had no qualms about making herself at home in other people's space. I sat down next to my grandma on her sleeping bag.

Nora offered one of the collapsible cups to my grandmother. "I hope you don't mind it's just black," she unnecessarily apologized. "I didn't have any cream or sugar."

"No thank you, dear," my grandma said. "I'm trying to cut back."

I could have predicted her response. It was in my grandmother's nature to deny herself comforts and extravagances so others could enjoy them instead.

Nora's mouth quirked into a forced grin when she looked in my direction. "How about you, Samantha?" She put the collapsible cup within my reach. Her voice was annoyingly musical despite its lower register.

"It's Sam," I mumbled. I didn't want to accept this girl's kindness because then I'd have to be nice in return, but I seriously wanted that coffee. I accepted the coffee cup, careful not to let any of it spill as though it were precious material. I could immediately feel the heat radiating from the metal cup.

"Warm," I grunted. I was aware that my conversation skills were lacking. I sounded like a caveman. It had been a long time since there had been anyone else to talk to besides my own family.