Part 1

I crept down the hallway, being careful not to make any noise so as not to wake my parents as I passed their room.

The floor was cold under my bare feet. It was 5 am. Curiosity had roused me. The big, wooden door down the hall was too intriguing. For the last few hours I lied in bed wondering what was behind that door.

But as I walked, I was still debating whether it was a good idea to go in there. Suddenly, a crashing sound brought me back from my thoughts to reality, and I realized I was in front of the door.

The sound came again. It was lightning. CRACK!

Then, a rumbling noise came. I peered out a window. Dark clouds were coming to cover the full moon that illuminated the hallway. A storm was coming. In the corner of my eye, I could see a shadow lurking behind me. I swiftly turned around, and saw only my own shadow on the wall.

My head was throbbing; I was sleep-deprived, thus I was seeing things. I looked out the window again.

A black figure and two glowing eyes stared back at me. Lightning struck again, and in the light, to much of my relief, was an owl. I then turned to face the door.

I slowly reached for the knob. I took for what seemed like ages, my heart thundering so loudly against my chest I thought it would burst open. My arms and scalp tingle as I get goosebumps. My muscles are frozen in place. My breathing becomes labored. The sound of my heart beating was drowning every other sound out. I could only hear the wild thumping in my ears.

As I was about to push the door open, something struck the back of my head, hard. I turned around but only saw a shadowed figure. They reached out. I tried to run, but my limbs were locked into place, refusing to move. My vision was starting to blur, I tried to fight, not wanting to pass out. But the darkness won. Everything went black.