Chapter Twenty

Lena stared at the ceiling above her bed, heart thumping violently as she took in a deep breath.

The words recited to her in the voice of her brother pounded through her head over and over. She brought a shaky hand to wipe the sweat and tears from her face. Lena sat up in the bed, heavily leaning back on her arm.

I’m coming for you.

Lex’s voice whispered in her mind. He was gone, but the words remained. Lena took in another deep breath, trying not to wake up the sleeping students around her when the next part of his message. She choked back a sob. Lex had seen into her mind, into her thoughts.

The Zor-El girl? You will regret getting involved with her.

He saw Kara.

I’m coming for her first.

“I’m not doing this anymore.” Maggie dropped the coin onto Professor Grant’s desk.

“Hmm, any reason?” Professor Grant looked up from her newspaper, the grimacing images of the students caught in the aurors’ raid of the castle. She looked at Maggie curiously. “It’s the Danvers girl isn’t it?”

“I-”

“You’re going to regret this. This is reason for expulsion.” Professor Grant said firmly.

“I don’t care.” Maggie whispered, closing her eyes.

“Alright.” Professor Grant sighed. “Maggie Sawyer, gather your things. You are no longer a student at Hogwarts due to illegal activity involving a Dark Magic cult.”

Lena held onto Kara, bringing her closer to her. She hugged her tightly, hands grabbing onto the fabric of Kara’s sweater.

“Lena? Lena- you’re squeezing kind of tightly-”

“Oh.” Lena loosened her grip and moved back a bit. “Sorry.”

“What’s wrong,” Kara brought her hand up to touch Lena’s cheek gently. “Wait- did he talk to you again?”

Lena nodded, moving her head to rest in the crook of Kara’s neck. She heard Kara let out a breath. Kara’s hand moved through her hair soothingly.

“Your last name was Zor-El?”

Kara tensed up and stopped running her hand through Lena’s hair. “I- yes.” She moved back out of Lena’s arms. “Did he tell you that?”

“I-”

“Did he tell you what he did?”

“No-”

Kara tightly closed her eyes and leaned back on the wall behind her. She brought a hand up to rub at her forehead. “My- my parents-”