Green Eyes

I stood there with my feet planted firmly on the floor at the front of the room. I couldn't focus on anything Mr B was saying - I was just trying to remember how to breathe. Hudson Ray was standing next to me, with his shoulder brushed up against mine. Was this even real? As I kept repeating the phrase 'he is just a boy' over and over in my mind, I began to relax, with my heartbeat returning to its original pace.

I peered out of the corner of my eye and was certain I saw Hudson's shoulders bobbing up and down, as if he was laughing. He must have seen how much effort it took for me to relax around him – great.

I tried so hard to forget that thought and focused on the class discussion around me.

“So, there we have it! I need each pair to think of a popular song you kids listen to, and do your own loved-up rendition of it! You will be working with this same partner for the rest of the Term! How exciting! Now, spread out and get to work!” Mr B exclaimed, as if he loved watching us suffer since we were being forced to work with people we never had before.

There were nine weeks left of this Term. Nine whole weeks of being partners with the most popular guy in school! What was I supposed to do?

Breaking me from my trance, Hudson nudged my shoulder.

“Let's go!” He announced, pulling me by my hand until we left the room.

We rounded the corner and came across a small wooden bench, only big enough to fit two bodies. Without hesitating he slumped into the seat, whilst beckoning me to follow him. Cautiously I sat down, as far from his as possible. I felt my trembling nerves moving so fast that I was certain he would have felt them. He was only a person, why was I acting this way?

He mustn’t have noticed, since he moved closer and flipped out his phone.

“Who's your favourite singer?” He hummed, still flicking through his phone.

Was he talking to me, or just going through his own music selection?

I decided to play it safe and not respond, until his eyes flickered up and stared straight into mine.

I never noticed before, but he had the shiniest and brightest green eyes I had ever seen - the most unique vibrant green colour. I couldn't concentrate; I just suddenly felt this strong pull towards him, I couldn't look away. His lips twitched, forming the same smirk he gave me earlier, as if he knew exactly what he was doing - making me attracted to him even more.

“Uh, your favourite singer?” he asked again, after clearing his throat to catch my focus.

“Oh, uh, Justin Bieber,” I forced out, the first name coming to my mind.

He laughed, actually, he laughed hard - which offended me quite a lot.

“How about someone else?” he suggested, still giggling.

“How about you choose,” I slurred, not wanting him to discourage my taste in music anymore.

“What about One Direction?” he asked, gazing into my eyes, like he did before.

“Do you like them?” I answered with a joyful feeling coming over me. Is this something we had in common?

“I do, plus, their songs are fun to sing,” he replied, brushing off the fact that he is a boy band fan.

I smiled along with him.

“Let's think of some songs tonight, and then we can choose one tomorrow?” he offered, as the bell rang, signally music class was over.

“Let's,” I nodded, as he smiled and left our wooden bench, walking off to join the crowd of school students heading to their next class.

All I knew was that the rest of my day will consist of me thinking about those shiny, bright green eyes.