cHAPTER #1

chapter 1

everyone was assigned a variable in the down under. the world is dangerous now, and the higher ups had decided to shelter us from the raging storms, blistering wildlife, and the horrors of the outside world. when everyone turned 17 though, we were sent outside of the dome that sheltered us to prove ourselves worthy of surviving.

i am kelsey nora evers, i'm not special in any way, and i'm not a mary sue because i deal with gender inequality even though it's not there. i am headstrong, and sharply witted. i'm incredibly smart, even though books were banned inside the dome. i woke up to the artificial sunlight beaming through my window. getting ready, i groaned. today was the day. we would take a test beforehand to prove ourselves, and then if we were put into the higher categories, we wouldn't be tested. there's no way i'd be put into the highest rank, as a kwnejji. after i got ready, i met with my friend, josh. he was a hot guy, with wonderful looking eyes and perfect teeth (even though he was in the second lowest caste, the weti). he grinned at me, and greeted me."hey kells!" he grinned. "hey josh," i smiled back. "ready for the big day?" he asked, his dreamy blue eyes twinkling."meh," i shrugged."it's okay, you'll do great. if i see you outside, i'll definitely help ya'," he smiled.i looked at him with me doe eyes, blinking slightly. "that's against the rules though," i whispered.we went to the large auditorium in the center of the city. i didn't have parents to say good bye to. they had disappeared when i was younger, and they left me and my sister alone. i let her sleep in, rather than wake her and let her worry. her name was rose. when i entered into the auditorium, i saw the king's son, prince gilbert sitting up in a balcony. he was incredibly dreamy. he was incredibly pale, with snow white hair and pink eyes. he was the complete opposite of josh. josh was cute in a sorta hick way--he had blond, ragged hair, deeply tanned skin, and baby blue eyes. we sat down, and i tried to calm down. my breathing was uneven, and josh grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly. the lights came on, and the king showed up, right at the podium. despite how advanced life under the dome was, they did everything old school here. well, that's what i was told at least. i sighed, trying to calm myself, and the king began to speak.