Chapter 7: Lost and Found

Y/N paced the castle hallways impatiently, barking orders to coordinate the kingdom-wide manhunt.  Twelve hours after the ball had ended with the mysterious blue-haired boy's abrupt departure, Y/N had taken charge of the search.  The kingdom's soldiers were scrambling to obey her commands and find the stranger who had fled the ball.

Preoccupied with her search, Y/N didn't notice her father blocking her way until she walked right into him and bounced off his chest.

"Ack!  Daddy!  Don't scare me like that!" she snapped, clutching his arm to recover her balance.

"Y/N, I was just standing here," he pointed out.  "I fail to see how it's my fault that you weren't watching where you were going."

Y/N sighed.  "Sorry, Dad.  I'm just distracted right now."

"I know, dear.  How's the search going?"  Steering her by the elbow, Soos led her into the nearest study and sat her down on one of the plush armchairs, taking the one opposite her.

"I've got men combing the cities and teams checking out the country estates," Y/N reported.  "So far they've made it through the eastern province and are headed south.  With enough time and manpower, I'll be sure to find him soon."  An involuntary frown wrinkled her brow for a brief moment.  "Probably."

Soos stared at her thoughtfully.  "You know, you've still got that boy's shoe, don't you?  Why don't you narrow down your search by finding out who fits into it?"

Y/N was speechless for a long moment, staring at her father in complete shock.

"Daddy... I love you, but that is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard," she finally said.

Soos looked offended.  "Why so?"

"Uh, maybe because there must be a dozen men in the palace alone who could wear the shoe, not to mention the fact that it's a completely unremarkable shoe, and the fact that we already have detailed descriptions of him and the one he was with, complete with accurate sketches, and they both have extremely obvious identifying features beyond their shoe size?" she ranted without stopping for breath.

Soos chuckled.  "You're right, that was a ridiculous idea.  Sorry, dear."

Y/N rolled her eyes.  "We're looking for someone with a very conspicuous birthmark, not to mention a guy with blue hair.  How hard could it possibly be?"

Six hours later, Y/N was willing to admit that it might be harder than it seemed.  She was itching to dash out of the castle and join the search herself, but she knew she had to wait for reports to arrive.  

"I hate waiting," she grumbled, staring out the window at the empty road as she watched for any approaching news of the search.

"I know, dear, you've said that a dozen times in the past ten minutes," her mother said brusquely.  "You've got to learn patience if you're expected to rule the kingdom someday."

Y/N shot Melody a glare.  "It's always 'rule the kingdom' with you, isn't it?  Don't you even care how I feel?"

Melody met her gaze evenly.  "That is because the kingdom takes precedence always.  You are a princess first, and a person second.  There are no exceptions to this rule if you expect to lead this kingdom properly."

They held the staring contest for a long moment before Y/N finally dropped her gaze.

If you really believe that, she thought as she turned back to the window, why are you letting me choose my own husband rather than marrying me off to the most suitable candidate?  Why am I allowed to appropriate the entire kingdom's resources in a desperate manhunt for a man I barely know?