part One

#shortstorychallenge

Lost Ones (Raven and Ahmari)

"You told me you loved me!" Ravens voice began to crack as she stared with her glossy eyes at Ahmari. She didn't want the stereotypes on him to be right, but they seemed that way.  She was already nervous once her pregnancy test came back positive. She hadn't even told her best friend, yet. The reaction Ahmari was giving was cold and making her feel stupid.
      Ahmari looked at the test in his hands, but he couldn't look at Raven. He knew what he had said, and truth be told, he did feel something for her. But he couldn't say it was love. Ahmari had a reputation to protect and a future to chase. The thoughts of being tied down to one woman and a child sounded great and just the thing to give him his freedom, but his family was depending on him to go Pro. This would take away his scholarships and future with the NFL. He knew he was the only hope for his family. Starting a family would be selfish. Ahmari always had to put himself on the back burner for his four sisters and his grand mother. He knew what he was about to do was wrong, but his hands were tied.
      "Look, Raven, we are both too young to be tryna raise a child. And everything I said was just pillow talk. I'm sure every nigga you been with has said they love you."
       Raven fely her heart breaking into a thousand pieces. Ahmari knew damn well that Raven was a virgin before he took her card on the night of prom. Why would he dog her like this? Everything in her wanted to shut down. She wanted to cry, but she refused to let Ahmari get the best of her, again. It was bad enough he was the first man to get between her thighs, but now she was carrying his seed and he was playing her for a fool.
       Ahmari felt his own heart beating fast and hard against his rib cage. He knew he had hurt Raven and he was dead wrong. He knew she was innocent and unlike the other girls he had gotten down with. He had been watching Raven since she transferred there from Arizona. She was quiet and smart and only kicked it with one girl. She would be the best candidate to carry his seed, but now was not the time.
      Before he could allow her to try to change his mind,  he delivered a harsh blow. "So, is that it?" Raven looked him up and down and felt disgusted. "Are you saying you want me to kill my baby?" She said with anger sripping from every word. The bell rang to let everyone know that lunch was over. "I'm saying that whatever you plan on doing is between you and God. Take care of yourself." Ahmari got uo and headed for the gym. He felt lower than the dirt under his sneakers. He used to wonder how his father and mother could not get their shit together for him and his sisters and now here he was telling a girl to abort their child . He knew he had fucked up. He secretly prayed that Raven would keep the baby and that once his career took off, God would put them back in each others paths.
       Raven stood in the place where Ahmari had left her and stared into space. She was hurt and pissed all at the same time. For a minute, she thought about getting an abortion. But she knew that was some weak shit. The world had been tryna make Raven into a bitch for as long as she could remember. But she was not about to kill her baby. She would just keep it from Ahmari. She could not believe she let him have sex with her, raw. Her body was a pure temple that had just been invaded by a jock who was selfish. Raven did not know how she waz going to do it, but she knew she had to hide her pregnancy and get her baby out of Compton. She lnew that her bestie would hold her down. It was time to grow up and be a woman. That was her only option.