that day, some time ago

(This is how it begins)

"Aren't you the least bit curious?"

The seven of you stare ahead as one, tongues held in check by the shock of pure disbelief.

"Go on. Take a look."

You can hardly believe your eyes. It is a strange-looking thing, unlike anything you have ever seen, and yet, perfectly ordinary.

"It talks..." someone whispers beside you.

On your other side, you hear someone else exhale shakily. "Fucking hell..."

The bird--the demon laughs, a pretty innocent sound of joy. "It's okay. I know you're scared. Everyone is, at the beginning."

It flaps its blue-black wings once; you flinch away instinctively, and it chuckles.

"I understand," it says, "but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you back down now, you'll regret it. I know you will."

"What's on the other side?" Your own voice is unfamiliar, too quiet, too soft. You hardly dare breathe.

The demon turns to you, it's tiny purple eyes twinkling with delight. "Anything you want."

You frown, shake your head twice. "What do you mean?"

"Anything you have ever imagined. Everything you have ever wanted. I bring you the door of hearts, the path to dreams. A whole other world awaits you, if only you would be brave enough to embrace it. Young hatchling," it says, cocking its head, "won't you open it?"

There is a loud pounding in your ears, and your body feels light, your fingers tingling. Your gaze never once leaves the oddly-shapen door.

For the first time, in a very long time, you feel--