The Haunted Hall

I'm not completely sure why I had to go eight hours away from the city. It was in my mother's will that I was to go to Richmond Hall Orphanage/Convent. Once the cancer came she became so obsessed with God but there was a convent in New York.

 Richmond Hall was a small building. It had two floors and a basement. It was made from bricks but was skirted with wood which was riddled with damp. The front door had a massive crucifix above it. The door was a huge double door. The locks were ornate and elaborate as were the door knobs. Every window was a stained glass portrayal of the easter story. Everything felt as though it loomed over me making me feel quite small. Slowly I lifted a shaking fist to the door and knocked it. The wood was rough against my skin. The knock felt long and strained. My escort got out the car and held a bag for me. He was a tall man and not one I trust. I knew before I met him. I didn't live in a good part of New York City... I was actually a common pick pocket however. One time Tina and I were offered a good job with great money. When we got there it turned out to be a strip club... my escort was a client there.

 A sour face peering out from small wire rimmed spectacles poked her head out of the heavy door. 

 "Who are you?" she asked. Her voice was as bitter as the look on her face and as sharp as a blade.

 "Theresa, Theresa Morrat." I replied.

 "Theresa, good Christian name." she replied and finally let me in. She stopped my escort. "I sense sins in you."

 "I just need to give Theresa her bags." he held it out.  The nun snatched it from her hand and pushed him away.

 "Keep your dirty soul away from here." she hissed. She slammed the door and everything seemed to shrink. A young girl's giggle echoed the halls. The halls smelt like holy water.