Chapter 5

I sneaked into the house and closed the door behind me as quietly as possible. The house was eerily quiet, so mom must be still asleep. I tip-toed up the stairs to my room, something that I have mastered over the years, and pushed the windows as far as they would go to let in fresh air because the smell of the drying paint was suffocating me.

          It was only after I tripped over five stuff in the same minute when I became aware of the fact that my room was in a horrible mess; my clothes were erupting from half open suitcases and all my other properties were scattered all around the place. The lid on the paint bucket wasn't even fully closed, and I decided to start from there. 

         I took the bucket along with other extra things I didn't really need yet to the attic, which I had never even seen. I heard mom talking about it when we first arrived here, complaining that it was too small to be a proper storage room. Right now, I didn't mind how big it was if I could just put these things.

          "Look. At.That." The words drawled from my mouth the moment the ancient door screeched open. The attic was indeed small; so small I had to bend my head so it wouldn't hit it's low, triangular ceiling, but it's not like I could go far inside or anything. 

          This thing felt like it was made from dust; it made me gag. I scrambled outside with my things and took in a deep breath, glad for the presence of clean air in my lungs. That room had to be cleaned up before mom sees it this way, and that was obviously my job since I am the only one who is in the house; besides her, of course.

          I sighed and dragged myself down the stairs to get everything I will need, and when I came up again, I could hardly hold myself straight because of everything I was carrying. I loosed my grip and everything fell down with a 'thud' loud enough to wake mom, but all I heard in return was silence. 

         That was unusual. 

         I walked over to her room, still listening for any sounds a person might cause even though I expected none.

         "Mom?" I knocked on the door and was surprised to find it ajar. It wasn't that hard to figure that she's not here, but I entered her tidy room and checked anyways. Nothing unexpected. I backed away, not sure whether I should call her or just wait for her to show up.

         "It's not like she will get lost in this tiny neighborhood" I reassured the door handle, then walked back up to the mess of the attic.    

           With a red bandana tied around my lower face, the mop in one hand and the water bucket in the other, I was sure I looked like a talented comedian.

         Time passed by, and when I was finally done polishing the walls for the fifth time, the sun was high and bright.

              There was a circular window outlooking our front yard, and other than it's very useful view, it let in the sun's rays all over the tiny room; it made me feel like I was in a movie. I set the things down slowly and walked around the place, my hand trailing its walls. 

         "You were worth my time," I said proudly to the sparkling room, admiring my work. "You are the new Crystal!"

          "Are you talking to yourself again, Bent?" Mom sighed in disapproval, leaning on the attic's door. "You have to stop," she continued, stepping closer to me.

           "Mom, it's not what you think. Anyone who spends five hours alone would do that," it was an attempt to lighten the uneasy feeling hanging in between us, but it failed horribly.

           Mom pulled me into a tight hug and I wrapped my arms around her small waist, enjoying the warmth and love that seemed to radiate off of her. To my disappointment, she pulled away.