Chapter 1

This is my first story, it's dedicated to my dearest friend Javen. He inspired me to start writing again, and I hope his work inspires you all as well.

 "Are you the New York Best Seller's new prize author? You can find out over the next month! London's annual writing competition starts in two days, all entries will gain a free hotel room at The Grand Luxe. The winner will be rewarded a grand prize of  $100,000! Good luck, and have fun!"

As I listened to the add on the television, I knew. This was the year that I was finally going to London to enter the writing contest. With my mom practically on her death bed and my father spending all of our finances on Jack, I could use the prize money.  There was only one problem, my mother's too sick to move across country, and my father is less than capable of looking after her. What could I possibly do? While I sat there trying to decide, I heard the ringing of my mother's bell. I remember the day I got her the brass instrument, it's when I realized how sick she truly was.

- 3 years ago -

I ran down the stairs until I finally reached the kitchen. I saw the bowl of fruit on the center of the aisle and grabbed an orange. "Mom," I yelled up the stairs, "do you want any breakfast?" I stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for a response. "Mom?" I yelled again. I knew something was wrong, I could feel it. My mom always answers when I call. I rushed up the stairs and ran into my mothers room. I searched her bedroom but there was no evidence of her even being there. I ran into her bathroom and saw her lying on the floor, blood spilling from her mouth. She looked at me and tried to reach out. She was trying to speak but burst into a spit of violent coughs instead. "Mom, mom whats wrong!"

- Present day -

I headed up the stairs to tend to my mothers needs. Upon my entry, she tried to sit up but I quickly rushed to her side and ushered her back down. "Mom, you really shouldn't try to move too much." I told her. She swatted my hand away and gave me a fixed look. 

"The fact that I'm dying doesn't mean you have to treat me as such." She coughed out. "Actually mom," I began, "that's exactly what it means." My mother knew she was going to die, and she was never shy about bringing it up. I sighed and sat next to her on the bed. "What is it you needed mom?" She grabbed my arm and sat up. "I was watching the TV and I saw a commercial for that writing competition again! You should go this year, honey. You've always wanted to." She smiled up at me before she started to cough again. I grabbed her towel and held it up to her mouth, when i removed the towel and saw the blood, I knew I wouldn't be able to go.

"That's sweet mom, but I can't just leave you here." I told her. I needed to be home to protect her, to make sure she was comfortable. "Nonsense, Alexis. You have to go. It's been your dream since you were a girl. Each year since I've fallen ill, I've hindered you from achieving your dream so I'm telling you now, go. I will be fine dear." 

I started to speak but she cut me off with a raise of her palm. "I've raised you since you were just a wee little thing," she started, tears pooling her eyes, "I knew you were special the moment I laid eyes on you. You started writing at three years old you know." She let out a small laugh before she continued. "You were incredibly gifted, still are. Look honey, I wont bore you with my tales of my raising you so I'll cut to the chase. I know that my illness is a burden for both you and your father. It drove your father to the bottle and now it's driving you away from your dream. I can't let that happen." It pained me to know what my mother truly thought of her illness. It wasn't her fault, I had to let her know that.

"Mom, please. You could never be a burden, you hear me? Dad chose to drink. In the same way I'm choosing not to go. What if something were to happen to you while I was away? Dad can't protect you and knowing that, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I'm not going and that's that."

She looked at me with such a pained expression. "Mavourneen," she began, "I'm going to die regardless-" I had to stop her, I couldn't bear to even imagine her death, even though we all know it's coming. "Mom, stop. Please. I can't listen to this right now."

"No, Alexis. You need to hear this, I am your mother and you will listen to me." She declared. "As I was saying, I am going to die and there is no avoiding it. My only wish is to see you go to London. My only wish is to see my daughter fulfill her destiny. Please, Alexis. If you can't go because of me, go for me." By the time she had finished she had three solemn tears running down the length of her face.

"Please, promise you'll go."

I looked down at my mother. Her cheeks were hollow, her once glowing eyes were dull and sunken in. My mom was once a beautiful and vibrant woman, but now she was frail and broken. I was going to honor her wish, I had to. This woman had given her life to love, protect, and nurture me. This was the least I could do for her. I clasped her hand in my own and squeezed it.

"I promise."

--------------------

Mavourneen- Irish English: Darling; dear.

Hope you enjoyed Chapter 1. I will try to make each following chapter longer.