Business in General

Concept of Business and Development of Business Culture

Business - any activity involved in the production and distribution of goods and services.

Relationship between business and the economy

Industry - group of business firms offering similar goods and services

Elements of Business System                                                                                                                         Capital (MONEY)                                                                                                                                   Entrepreneur (MANAGEMENT SKILL)                                                                                                          Land (MATERIALS)                                                                                                                                            Labor (MANPOWER)

Why People Engage in Business
"Hierarchy of Needs" by: Abraham W. Maslow                                                                                            Self-fulfillment - goal or ambition
Physiological need - essential needs for survival
Ego or Self-esteem - self-recognition or group satisfaction.
Safety need - security, stability or protection
Social need - group of belongingness, affection, love, and friendship.

Kinds of Business
Industry - extractive industries: farming, fishing and mining.
Services - satisfaction of the needs and wants of the consumers.
Commerce - ex. Shoe Mart, Rustan's, Robinsons, National Bookstore and etc. Manufacturing Industries - Nokia, Honda, Shell, Purefoods and etc.

Legal Forms of Business Ownership
Sole Proprietorship - it should be registered in the name of only one person.
Partnership - two or more persons agreement is required to be in writing.
Corporation - created by the operation of law.