Chapter One

Raindrops splattered on Genevieve's front window, causing her to curse as her vision became blurred. She didn't want to kill anyone of her first day of school. She attempted to turn the windshield wipers on in her Volkswagen Buggy, but nothing happened. She puffed out an annoyed sigh and tried a few more times, pumping the air excitedly when it worked on the fifth try. She made a mental note to remember to get that fixed and continued to drum along on her steering wheel, belting out the lyrics to her favorite song. Thankfully, she had pulled into the parking lot of her new school by the time the guitar solo rolled around, so she wasn't in any danger of crashing when she began to play the air guitar in perfect time with the music. She had ran into a fire hydrant doing this before. Her parents weren't very happy when she had to explain to them why her car was missing a door.

    She switched off her car and watched with half hearted interest as her new classmates rushed to get out of the rain. Only a few people lingered, but they were safe under their large umbrellas. Genevieve opened the door of her car, intending to get out, but gasping as she almost stepped right into an enormous puddle. Now she knew why the spot had been empty, since no one wanted to step in it, and that was the only way to get out of the car. Luckily for her, she didn't care. She stepped into the water and was satisfied to find that it stopped just below the opening of her jet black rainboots. They matched her black faux leather jacket perfectly, and she never complained when she had an excuse to pull them out. Plus, she loved the rain.

Earbuds in, Genevieve turned to face the school, her curls bouncing slightly as she bobbed her head up and down with the music. She was transferring mid-october of her junior year to a new school because she hadn't been enjoying her other one very much. There was nothing artistic about it, and she needed a way to express herself. She had finally persuaded her parents to let her move schools after she went on a homework strike and stopped doing any of her work. So, here she was. Except, now that she was there, she couldn't get herself to go in. It wasn't like she was scared. Genevieve had no problem admitting when she was, and this just wasn't one of those times. No, she was just queasy. What if it wasn't all she had made it out to be in her head?

"Only way to find out is to go in, Gigi," she mumbled to herself.

With that, she stepped out of the puddle and made her way to the front steps. To her surprise, nobody was looking at her. She thought it was just universally accepted that the new kid got ogled at as they walked into school. It was a pretty big school, though, so maybe it was normal for people to not know everybody. She couldn't help but feel relieved, walking with a renewed sense of purpose as she entered the school. Once inside, she made her way to the front office and slipped inside, looking around. Her lips slanted upwards into a smile as she took in the various band posters that covered the walls, and she was happy to see most of her favorites among them. Just as her eyes landed on one for Cage the Elephant, she heard someone clear their throat. Snapping her head back to the desk in front of her, she collected her thoughts, reminding herself why she was in here in the first place.

"May I help you?" Josefina, according to her name tag, asked a sheepish looking Genevieve.

"Yes, hi. My name's Genevieve Crowe. I'm new here," explained Genevieve, meeting the kind looking lady's eyes.

"Welcome," beamed the lady, typing her name into the computer on her desk.

After a minute or two, the printer jumped to life and Genevieve watched as her schedule slid into view. After mumbling a quick thanks to the lady, she walked out and started towards her first class. It was rather simple, the buildings on campus were differentiated by letters with the A building being the first one. Each floor started with 100 and increased by 100 for every level you climbed. Right now, Genevieve had to get to room 304 in building C. This meant that she would have to walk all the way across campus and then climb up three flights of stairs, but she didn't mind because her first class was choir.