I'm Telling Mom

Jane and John stood late outside of the school waiting to get picked up. It was dusk, the washed clouds were a deep purple, but the sky still a pale blue. The wind wasn't heavy but the air was still cold. 

They stood next to each other, John on his phone playing a game, lightly talking to himself, enthusiastic. Jane stood wrapped up in her own arms trying to keep out the cold, staring at the sidewalk blankly, lost in thought. 

John, noticing and unable to take the awkward silence, finally put his phone away and attempted to make conversation. 

"How are you?" he said. 

Jane etched the corners of her mouth up for a forced smile. She kept her head down but John still noticed the single tear cut through the tense air then splash and sizzle on the cold sidewalk.

 "Hey, what's wrong?" he frowned putting on a comforting tone to try and soothe her although he didn't really know how. 

She shook her head, but her face contorted and more tears came. He took her in his arms grabbing her by the waist to face her toward him while pulling her closer. 

"What's wrong?" he whispered again, softer more sweetly. 

He cupped her sad little face in his big hands, thumbing away her tears, "Please don't cry," he said almost inaudible. He was taller than her; and stood so closely that she had to tilt her head all the way back to look at him. 

Tears flowed, "don't cry," he said and leaned down slowly to plant a soft kiss on her lips. 

He pulled back, holding his breath. The air still, smelling like rain, like tears. 

"What the hell was that?" Jane said. 

"Well, you kissed back," John said defensively, now red. 

Jane frowned, "I'm telling mom." 

She stormed off down the street leaving John awkwardly standing there in the cold.