Chapter 3

The next morning came slower than Dean expected. Sleeping for the whole day was a bad idea for he couldn't even sleep for 5 minutes. That and also the quezy feeling in the pit of his stomach kept him from sleeping. Maybe it was the glass of juice he had when he came back. It did smell a little different but nothing that can't be ignored. Or maybe it was the anticipation he had regarding today's visit he and his assistant were about to make to St. Augustine's oldage home. What if again they meet a dead end.

He sighed deeply. With a great effort he pushed himself up from the bed and walked towards the bathroom. The mirror sketched his dark circles, baggy eyes, dry and tired skin more prominently under the bathroom light. His beard looked like a growing mess. His once handsome and bright face lacked lustre and made him look no less than a corpse. You need a shave, his inner self spoke, being a little presentable won't hurt. Agreeing with his inner self, he took out the shaving cream and razor and got his face cleaned up as much as he can.

One hour later he was all set to drive to Dewton. Now he just needed one little thing before starting his one and a half hour drive. Coffee, that too a strong one as the sleep was finally starting to enter his eyes, just when it's not needed.

He walked out of his house and locked the door behind him. Walking towards his garage, he glanced at his watch. 7.45. Well he is a bit early, he was supposed to meet Sally by 8.30 near his office. Buying a coffee will undoubtedly be a good use of that extra time. Caffeine seemed to fill his blood more than water, not that he is complaining. But it was funny how once he was so particular about the things he fed to his body. Now he didn't give one tiny rat's ass about it. There were other things on his plate that needed more attention.

He drove along the familiar road that neighboured a small coffee shop somewhere in between other restaurants and shops. He could smell the strong fragrance of freshly brewed coffee that wafted through the open windows of the coffee shop, as soon as he exited his car. The smell in itself was so addicting that he couldn't help but fast walk towards the door. Inside it was nothing notable about the cream chairs and tables or the glass counter that displayed varieties of cupcakes and rolls. The only thing that actually held a customer's attention was probably the sweet bakery smell of freshly baked puffs, rolls and cupcakes mingled with the scent of coffee. After ordering a caffè latte and two blueberry scones he took a seat near the window till his order was ready. Looking out of the window he thought about all the questions he wanted to ask. He didn't want to leave out any information even if it was as small as the details of his first toy gun. He just couldn't wait to get his hands on Alec Chapman. The hunger for revenge was real.

A female voice interrupted his train of thoughts. "Dean" the barista called his name again. With a thank you he took his cup and wrapped up puff and walked out of the shop.

As soon as he walked out, morning chill wasn't the only thing he felt against his neck. The feeling of being watched, like last night, crawled back but with more intensity. It left a trail of goosebumps starting from his neck and travelling along his spine like a snake. He swiftly looked around, ready to get a sight of a pair of eyes lurking in a building's shadow. But all the sight he could get of was an nearly vacant road, only few people walking on the sidewalk and a car. None of them looked remotely interested in watching a man walking towards his car with his small breakfast. Still the feeling held on to him like glue. He kept looking for prying eyes till he got into his Honda accord.

As the engine rumbled to life, he again looked around to make sure no one was watching him. His sleepy mind maybe playing tricks on him. He wondered how long could he blame his brain for this sensation. Well whatever, or whoever, it was he'll deal with it later, right now other matters waited for him.