9 | The Meddlers

Kyouko Kirigiri, unbeknownst to many of her classmates, was always observing those around her.

Mondo did not notice her when she saw him pass Kiyotaka a note, and more than this, he was unaware that she'd been observing him a long while.

She'd noted obvious changes in his behavior, like the drastic differences in his body language when he was with Kiyotaka versus when he was with anyone else. She noticed how much his attitude had improved in regards to schoolwork and avoiding fights, and observed how Kiyotaka had become much more relaxed.

Kirigiri was more than observant: she had become quite meddlesome. It was with her observations in mind that she approached Mondo in the hallway and bluntly asked him what he was doing.

Mondo made some terrible excuse, or rather, he didn't bother trying to make one at all. He simply refused to explain himself. He did not have to, of course. Kirigiri saw Kiyotaka exit his classroom somewhat glumly and begin walking down the hall, and she knew her suspicions were correct.

Kirigiri noticed a certain boy observing the scene from nearby, so she ducked into the classroom she had seen him in and pulled him away from the door. The two watched in silence as Mondo chased after Kiyotaka and shoved a different note into his hand. Mondo fled before Kiyotaka could react properly, and then he stared blankly ahead and rushed to his room with the note still in his hand.

"It's happening," Kirigiri said quietly as she released the boy from her grasp.

"What's happening?"

"Oowada-kun is asking Ishimaru-kun for a date. Really, Makoto-kun. I thought it was quite obvious."

Naegi blushed and peeked out the door to confirm that both boys had actually left, and then he looked up in thought.

"Asking him on a date... You mean like a date date? I know they're close, but I didn't think it was a romantic thing."

Kirigiri sighed and shook her head. Boys.

"Have you not noticed that they have both developed a habit of blushing recently, particularly when the other is around? Think, did either of them behave that way when you first met them?"

Naegi's mouth fell open slightly as he thought, and his brow furrowed.

"Uh... Yeah, you're right. Ishimaru-kun used to have the same really serious expression all the time. And Oowada-kun didn't used to laugh as much as he does now. And the blushing... I don't remember that from before."

"When was the last time Oowada-kun got into a fight? And when was the last time Ishimaru-kun ruined everybody's fun and refused to listen to anyone?"

"I-it's been a while, huh?" Kiyotaka had actually helped Naegi pass a number of tests, he remembered, and had always been very encouraging about the results, even if they were less than perfect.

"Now, think about the way they behave together. If one of them was a girl, would you still see it as platonic? Be honest."

"...No," Naegi admitted, his shoulders slumping.

"They like each other. And Oowada-kun is trying to bridge the gap, but... If they don't get any help, I fear they'll both just hide in their rooms and never discuss what must be discussed."

Naegi nodded slowly. His head still seemed to be in the clouds. He was likely reflecting on his experiences with the boys and seeing them in a new light.

"Okay... So let's help them out!" He declared, and Kirigiri smirked.

"You and I are on the same page. Here's what we're going to do."