Chapter One

It's been a few years since I left, I moved away and started my dream job of being a hairdresser. It's where I found my best friend, Erin, she's amazing, and reminds everyone of Beyonce. I clocked in and sat down at the desk, rubbing my stomach, "Man I'm starving." I said, when Erin walked over.

"Come on my sexy black friend, let's go eat." She grabbed my hand and we walked through the mall. I felt someone staring at me, I looked around slowly. "What's wrong?"

"Um...nothing, I'll um...catch up with you later."

~<>~

What the hell is wrong with me? My hands shook as I drove, I pulled over to the side. "He's not here, Harmony, he's not here." I told myself. I pulled back into the almost empty trail and continued driving. A man appeared in the middle of the road and I swerved.

I gasped, sitting up in my bed quickly, "Teddy?" I called, getting up, waiting for my grey pitbull puppy to come running around the corner. That's exactly what his brown eyed self did, I picked his small body up and shut my bedroom door, laying back down. I pet him and tried to calm my nerves. It's been three years, and I'm still scared he's going to find me. I looked out the window to see the sun slowly rising. "Wanna go for a walk?" He jumped up and his tail wagged. I smiled and slipped into a pair of athletic shorts and a tank top. I hooked his leash to his collar and walked out my apartment, locking the door behind me.

It was so peaceful outside, the neighborhood hadn't woken up yet. "Hey." I turned around and saw a man standing behind me. He was a tall, black man, very muscular and very handsome, it seemed like I had a type.

I looked into his very, light brown eyes, "Hi...?"

"I see you jogging every morning when I let my dog out." He smiled.

"Yeah, I'm just trying to keep my cardio up."

"What? You planning on running a marathon?"

"No." I laughed.

"That's too bad, I would've been there to cheer you on." His obvious flirting was kind of nice, not as forceful as Jeremiah used to be. "Did I strike out?" He chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

"No," I smiled, "Well maybe I'll see you tomorrow, this marathon isn't gonna run itself." I joked and continued my jog. I haven't really drawn a second look from any guy since I moved here, it was nice for someone to talk to me. I finished up my jog and returned to the front door, I spotted him playing frisbee with his puppy, looked like a terrier of some kind. I walked across the street and stood at his gate.

"Oh hey, marathon runner." He said, his puppy running around him playfully. He tossed the frisbee and she ran after it.

"Hey supporter of my marathon running."

"Maybe, we should have the dogs meet." He turned around and picked his puppy up, "This is Zelda, it's from this video game."

"Oh my gosh, I used to play that all the time when I was younger." He continued to smile and look at me, "Anyways, this is little Teddy." Zelda instantly licked his face when she got the chance. A dark car slowly rolled by, "Looks like people are waking up now."

"That's weird, I've never seen them around."

"Oh..." I trailed off, "Well, I'm gonna go eat." I ran off to my apartment and quickly shut and locked the door behind me. I peeped through the blinds of my window, he looked confused before shrugging his shoulders and going back inside his house. After awhile, Teddy began barking and someone was pounding on the door, "How long was I sleep, buddy?" I asked, looking through the peephole. "Oh shit." I whispered, Jeremiah. I scooped Teddy up and ran into my room, locking the door behind me.

I looked through my window when the banging stopped, Zelda's owner was talking to him. I opened the window just a tab bit to listen, "Yeah, she left like twenty minutes ago." He told Jer.

"You're lying, I know my girlfriend is here, I heard her dog barking just now."

"She's not gonna bring her dog to work with her."

Jeremiah stormed off, got in his car and sped away. After a few minutes, I opened my door, "Thanks."

"You're going to have to tell me what the hell is going on." I pulled him inside and shut the door. "First of all, what's your name?"

"Harmony King."

"Aaron Westbay. Now who the hell was that?"

"My ex-boyfriend." I answered sheepishly.

"Then why was he just here claiming to be your boyfriend?" He asked.

"Geez I need some wine." I got up and went into my kitchen, he followed me.

"Answer my question."

"Can't we just talk about something else, please?" I poured myself a glass.

He looked at me for a couple of seconds, "Give me a glass." I smiled and gave his a glass, he filled his up and took a sip. "You know I don't just drink wine with anyone." He smirked before taking a sip.

"So why drink with me?"

"You're hot."

"Oh really?" I laughed, "Is that a 'I wanna get in your pants' hint?"

"No, but tell me more about this crazy ex that could probably beat my ass." He slowly sipped.

"He can beat mine." I mumbled.

He looked at, "Are you serious? Is that why you moved here?"

"Chill, it was just a joke." I lied.

"No you're not." He said softly, "But it's okay." He set his empty glass down, "I'm gonna go."

"Wait, what happened just now? I thought we were having fun."

He sighed, "It was fun, you should get some sleep though, goodnight Marathon Runner."

"Night supporter."