The Dream

There he was, Dalton. He was one of my best friends. I was also in love with him. He knew of my feelings toward him, but not the depth of them. We had talked about starting a relationship before but nothing had happened. We were walking through the school, just talking. We sat on the floor and began watching videos on his phone. As we were sitting there, our legs intertwined. I looked up at him in confusion. We had never had any kind of public displays of affection except for the occasional hug. He just kept watching the video, though I did see him smiling. Our arms were near each other and they kept brushing against each other. I was so confused.

The next day, we were at school early so we had to wait outside for them to open the doors. That morning happened to be particularly cold. Dalton saw how cold I was and cuddled into me to keep me warm. While we were standing there, huddled together, Dalton took his hand and connected it with mine. I looked down at our hands, now together, then looked up at Dalton.

"Now everyone will know," he said to me smiling. I smiled back at him, happy that we were finally together. I loved the way he did it too, subtle yet sweet. He then leaned down and kissed my cheek taking my happy expression as a yes. We walked into the school, as it was just unlocked, hand in hand kind of swinging our arms back and forth. We stopped in the same spot we had yesterday and talked and went on his phone some more. We sat close together, much like how we did yesterday, except for the fact that we held hands as well. Some of Dalton's friends saw us and Dalton introduced me to his friends. They were all very nice and accepting of me.

We sat like that, just talking and laughing for a while until the bell rang. I groaned. I had physics and it was not my favorite class. Dalton knew how I felt so he gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"You'll be fine," he told me. I smiled up at him.

"Thanks," I told him. I really did love him he was so sweet. I leaned my head into him as I mentally prepared for physics. I closed my eyes for a minute to enjoy the small amount of time I had left with Dalton until the dreaded physics. He also, like most guys, smelled amazing so I was enjoying that as well. All of a sudden a light was shining in my eyes. I open them to see my mom trying to come into my room silently. She sees that I'm looking at her and motions to my alarm. I reach over and turn it off, rolling back over to Dalton. I close my eyes and hear my door close. Hearing the sound makes me realize that everything was just a dream. The perfect day I had was only a fantasy. The thought made my eyes begin to well up with tears. I shook them away though. Even though I loved Dalton, I was trying to get over him, he had caused me too much emotional stress and I had to break off whatever it is that we were. I thought I was over him, but I guess I'm not. I guess I'm still hopelessly in love with my best friend.