Singled Out

It had been a fun weekend, amazing really. The boys had spent so much time talking and playing games that Yukio had asked them to spend the night in their dorm. The twins had pulled an extra mattress from the room over for Shima, and they themselves didn't mind sleeping in the same bed again. Seeing as how Rin had been sleeping better with Yukio by his side, the younger brother didn't fuss.

The weekend had been so fun that Rin had forgotten his problems, all his scars and painful thoughts. They disappeared and he felt free, like a normal teenager, whose only problems were girls and schoolwork. However, all good things must come to an end, and by Sunday evening, Bon and Shima left for their dorm, and the twin's had to do their homework.

It was the next morning and Rin was absolutely terrified to go to school. He feared he would be interrogated and poked at, that damn photo having been sent to everyone at True Cross Academy. No doubt the teachers knew about it too.

Yukio drew Rin out of his day dreams, telling him that his cereal would get soggy if he didn't eat it soon. Looking down at his puffed wheat and banana, the twin didn't feel so hungry, his stomach turning at the thought of eating. He needed to calm down, and maybe find a way to get out of school.... he wished he had his blade, he would feel better if he could just hurt himself once, just once. He heard Yukio sigh, "You've got that weird look again, spill the beans." Rin looked up, meeting blue eyes with teal.

He swallowed, "I'm not very hungry."

The youngest twin pondered a moment, "It's alright, it'll do you no good to throw up later today by forcing it down. But, tell me what's wrong, besides the fact that you're worried about school."

"What else is there?" The raven haired boy faltered. "Everyone at school knows, Yukio. It's been hard enough with just cram school knowing, but... I can't handle the thought of today going horribly. I can't calm down." He bit down on his lip and the brother looked at him with concern.

"Rin, there won't be any blood today. You hear me? Not even a scratch on your body, and I'll be checking tonight." Rin nodded, rubbing his bandaged wrist, a sudden thought came to mind.

"Yukio, when I hurt myself with that knife, it dampened my demon healing to the point that any wound healed like a humans. But, when I had been hurt any time before then, my injuries would heal almost immediately." He pondered, still rubbing his clothed wrist.

Yukio shook his head, "and? I don't know where you are going with this."

The twin sighed, "Well, when I hurt myself while you were on that mission Saturday morning, I didn't use any type of blessed object. Yet, my wounds are still healing a few days later. Why is that?"

There was silence for a moment, "Two things: one, you still haven't told me what happened that night. And two, the common occurrence that keeps popping up is self harm. All the incidents beforehand were injuries caused by other people, right? But all those scars were caused by yourself." Yukio trailed off, the topic was still uncomfortable between the two of them, for obvious reasons.

Rin looked unconvinced, "So, you're saying that I'm not healing because I don't want to? That I have been magically able to tell my body when and when not to heal itself? That seems a bit far out there..."

"That's not what I meant. From what I know" Yukio gave his brother a pointed look, "you've been hurting yourself with that knife every time, except this last occasion. Am I right?" Rin nodded slowly, "let me ask this; what did you use to hurt yourself then?" The brothers stared at each other, the tension in the room rising before Rin broke it with a sigh.