Escape (Austin Carlile)

Who knew three words could change everything? It wasn't the common most used three words like, "I love you." In fact, the three words that hurt me the most were the exact opposite. The thing that hurt me the most out of all of it, was that Austin couldn't even tell me in person. He left a note on the fridge that simply read, "I'm leaving you." There was no "I'm sorry," not even a simple "goodbye." he just left..

~Two Years later~Nicole's POV~

It's holiday season at college, and I get to go home for two weeks to visit with my family, that I love dearly. I was jamming out to hardcore music until I realized whose band it was.. of mice & men.. Austin's. I turned off the radio and pulled into the stone houses drive way and shot out of the car towards the door.

My parents car was gone, but my grandmas was in the driveway. My parents were probably buying my little brother Jack last minute Christmas gifts. An officers car was in the driveway behind my grandmas, and his hat was in his hands giving my grandma a grim look. What in the world was happening?

I smiled at the both of them, and my grandma gave me a weak smile before bursting into tears. She ran back inside, as the officer spun around and gave me the same grim look he gave my grandma a minute ago. I realized who the officer was.. Officer Dan.

"Nicole Williams.. last time I saw you, you were only 15." he put his right hand gently on my shoulder and sighed deeply.

"Is something wrong? Did I do something wrong?" I asked confused tilting my head to the left.

"No Nicole. You didn't do anything wrong.. It's your family.. They were going out to the store.. And they were killed in an accident."

"W- what?" I stuttered it seemed like the whole world was in slow motion, passing cars took awhile to pass the driveway.

"I'm sorry." He said sincere. He swiftly moved back to his police car and left. A tear dripped down my cheek until they came pouring down my cheeks like a waterfall.

I walked down the driveway, my black vans skitting across the cement. It started off as walking, until I began to run. It was as if I was running from my biggest nightmare again, losing people I loved. I ran down the steep hill, until falling to my knees to cry. I was shaking on the cold cement until I heard footsteps behind me.

"Nicole!" My cousin, Hayley Williams voice yelled after me. She must've heard the news about my family's death and came with her parents.

Later that day, my head lay on the top of my aunt Christie's lap as she stroked through my hair with her thin cold fingers.

"Tell me they're lying, please." I mumbled over and over again. Hayley was sobbing into our grandma's chest as uncle Joey rubbed circles on Aunt Christie's back. My mom was Christie's sister, they were close like me and Hayley.

"I'm afraid they aren't honey." Christie sniffled. Her eyes were puffy like mine were.

"Mom and dad were only in their forties.. Jack.. he was only ten.." I cried even more. My aunt sat me up and pulled me into a tight hug, soon a everyone was hugging each other sobbing like a bunch of little girls having a tantrum.

The aftermath of crying was bad, until Hayley spoke up. "She can come on tour with me.. It would get her away from here.. I doubt she's going to continue with college.. I need the company anyways."

"It is an option.." my aunt and grandma both looked at each other, as if hoping I was going to say yes.

"She's right.. I won't want to continue college.. so I guess I could." I bit my lip nervously. Hayley chuckled at my response.

"We leave after Christmas then."

Here it goes again, I'm running from my past. I'll eventually get away from my past too, just me and Hayley.