The Two Fools

From telegrams to Nokia flip phones to iPhones, we've seen it all before. From the old to the new, the world is an endless evolution. Modern things replacing the ones from the past, quickly forgetting its old counterpart for there are new and better features that shadow the original.

The same goes for people, I presume. The old, the one in the past, always being left and forgotten once replaced by a new and better one.

I am unfortunate to be the one who is forgotten and so much more unfortunate to be forgotten by him.

When did we start drifting away? I can't bring a single moment to mind. There never was this point where we suddenly had stopped talking nor was there a reason to hold a grudge against the other person. Once preparation for our debut began getting very hectic very quickly, we just didn't have time anymore.

One day Jeonghan walked up to me as the refreshing breeze on the rooftop ran its hands through my sweaty hair, kissed me under the Seoul moonlight one last time, called it quits and left. I didn't shed a single tear that night and I never did afterwards. I didn't feel like crying.

After our long awaited debut, things were different. Sure it was hectic and intense still, but we were used to it now. The group performed and practiced and somehow worked around those two things to get some free time where we could hang out and relax.

Of course normal things like hugging and holding hands looked different to our fans, as was expected since before. Talk of strategic fan service became something frequently brought up. We were aware of what gave the best reactions and publicity. This was where things began to change, or maybe it started changing prior to the fan service thing but wasn't as noticeable. I wasn't sure.

Jeonghan and Seungcheol— no, S.Coups— started sitting together more, leaning closer more, holding each other's hands more, whispering into the other's ear more. There was no question— I was jealous. I told myself it was normal; we broke up only months ago after all. I couldn't help the small glances when they whispered and giggled or made hearts with their arms.

After a particularly cute session of 'Jeongcheol' (that's what the fans call it now) during a fansign, I follow the group backstage, waving and smiling despite the clenching of my chest. Once out of the fans' sights, I let out a sigh and bow my head in exhaustion. I just want to lie down and sleep away this sadness that I can't wait to pass.

"Hyung," a small yet strong voice calls accompanied by a gentle tap on my arm. I turn my head to the source of the sound and find Jihoon looking up at me with concerned eyes and frowning lips. "Are you okay?" he asks. Jihoon and I never really talk alone much, so I can't be blamed for my surprise. Still, he isn't some stranger. I know I can trust him.

I guess it's because he isn't notorious for being a gossip or because of those mature moments I witness of him pounding some sense into Mingyu's skull who has more than once expressed his worry about him and Wonwoo being found out, but I begin letting out all of my frustrations one by one. I tell him about not being over Jeonghan after all these months, about being jealous of him and S.Coups and even about how I stupidly feel like I have been replaced somehow. I tell him about my idiotic thoughts and how I find them idiotic. The more I let out, the more I feel better.

"I... honestly don't know what to do if I were in your position." He lets out a sigh, setting his gaze on his reflection on a mirror behind me. "Although, what I do know is that you need to get over him. You can't let yourself be beaten up by this constant jealousy."

I run my fingers through my hair just because I don't know what to do with my hands. "That's easier said than done," I quip. Jihoon lets out a stiff laugh. "Tell me about it."