Chapter 7

"You'll be able to see them soon, I promise."

"I know."

Turning around, I walked past Xavier to the kitchen for a glass of water. Their absence upset me more than it should, most likely an effect of the children-Luna bonding thing Xavier had mentioned. Bernie retreated back to the den for a nap while the sound of Xavier padding softly behind me followed me into the kitchen. I reached up for a glass but with the closest cup being at the back of the cabinet, I had no hopes of reaching it. As I stretched my arm, hoping I somehow grew a few inches, I felt a warm hand fall onto my waist and watched Xavier's long arm snag the cup. As he handed it down to me, I stared at the glass as I took it. Xavier didn't move from his position and I leaned my head back against his chest.

"You're upset again."

"I know but I shouldn't be."

"Sometimes it can't be helped."

I turned around and forced a smile for him.

"I'll be fine. After all, once this is fixed I will be able to visit them all the time. I think that, maybe for me at least, it might have be part of my duty as Luna to be there for those kids."

Xavier raised a hand to cup my cheek.

"I'll try and hurry. The witch will be here tomorrow to ask you some questions. I'll stay here to make sure things go well."

I nodded and he smiled faintly.

"Are you tired?"

"Kind of but I doubt that I can sleep yet."

Xavier took my hand and led me into the den. We both took a moment to straighten up the mess made but once that was finished, he pulled me to sit beside him and turn the television on. I had a feeling that Xavier didn't really watch television all that much but it was the easiest thing for him to use to relax with me. Bernie enjoyed it as well, curling up underneath our feet on the soft rug.

"What do you want to watch?"

I stole the remote from him and flipped it to Animal Planet. While River Monsters was not on, Big Cats was and I only hesitated briefly before choosing that. Xavier gave me a curious look but didn't protest. For half an hour we watched the several species of cats hunt and fend off predators but when a lioness started the ritual to mate, Xavier quickly turned it off.

Inhaling deeply, I slyly looked out of the corner of my eye to see Xavier's reaction. He was deathly still and refused to look down at me. My Panther growled a little, disliking not having his complete attention. I rose to my knees on the couch and balanced myself with my hands on his shoulder.

"Xavier,"

A sigh passes his lips and he reluctantly turned to face me. The darkness of his normally light grey eyes shocked me and I leaned in closer to investigate them. I had never seen my eyes do that so perhaps it was only a male shifter thing or a lion shifter characteristic.

"Soralyn, you're awfully close."

His voice was husky and low. It sent shivers up my spine.

"Your eyes are awfully dark. Why?"

My question earned me a groan and I heard him moving before I felt him grab me by the waist and pull me onto his lap fully. His mouth dropped down to my lips, centimeters away from touching. The feeling of his hot breath made me squirm and my heart pound.

"You drive me crazy, woman."

I grinned shakily and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"That's the way it's supposed to be right?"