Chapter Eight: Explanations and Phone Calls

"So, what's been happening lately?" Alesa asked as we drove down the quiet darkened street.

"Ryan is being a complete jerk, threatening us and shit. And when we tell Dawn, she yells at us and doesn't believe it. He's brainwashing her," I described, Paige just staring out the window.

Adam sighed, running his fingers through his messy curls, turning the wheel.

"She never used to be like this. Personally I think she's desperate. She's been single for too long, and now he finally comes along and loves her, but he apparently doesn't want kids. So in order to keep him, she's starting to give you the atttitude as well. I don't think she's what you'd say brainwashed...not yet anyways. We need to stop this," Adam explained, and it all finally made sense.

He knew a lot, that was for damn sure. How did I not see it before?

Just then, my phone started ringing in my pocket. I pulled it on, and on the screen shown "Dawnie-boo" with her contact picture. I sighed, and answered it.

"What," I hissed.

Paige turned to look at me, and I mouthed "Dawn."

She nodded and looked back out the window, and that's when Dawn replied.

"Where are you two? Your bedroom doors are open and you two are gone."

I hesitated, glancing out the window, then I had the perfect answer.

"For your information, Alesa and Adam came and picked us up because I called her about you two fuckfaces being jerks to us and they picked us up for the night. And if you dare think about calling the cops on them, I'll make sure they give you all hell tomorrow. Bye," I growled, furiously tapping my screen to end the call.

"Woah, who was that?" Alesa asked, and I muttered,

"Dawn, asking where we were. I told her off."

Adam laughed his famous laugh, and replied,

"You sure as hell did! Damn!"

I could tell this would be a good night.