Chapter 1

Autumn 1628, Boronduin Territory, Ardaman

Alpha Markus was about to retire for the night when a warrior burst into the house, "Alpha, I apologise for storming in like this but savage ones are making their way down the ravine towards us." Without another word, the alpha, followed by his mate, made their way to the ravine. It was raining hard tonight and the ravine would become flooded in a few hours, so it was extremely strange for anything, even savage ones, to be trying to enter the territory now.

They stopped the cars a distance in front of the mountain pass and carefully moved forward in their wolf forms. The savage ones cannot be allowed to get further than the opening of the pass, so the alpha, beta, gammas and warriors moved up into the ravine.

After quite a few minutes' walk, they noticed movement coming their way and they lay low, hiding next to large rocks and under protruding rocks as they watched. The savage ones were moving along the ravine, sniffing and occasionally scratching at the ground. They were tracking something. How stupid of them to hunt food in a ravine during a storm, and in pack territory nonetheless.

The savage ones were getting more excited the closer they came. Suddenly one came to a stop, looked up with perked ears and after a moment he trotted closer excitedly, followed shortly after by the others. He came to a stop at a large, rough stone lying among the pebbles and sand. There must be a hare or something beneath that stone, the alpha thought. The savage was joined by his three companions and they bound around the stone excitedly.

The Alpha was readying himself to strike when one of the savage ones nudged the stone and it gave way, opened up and fell to the side. Alpha Markus and the wolves accompanying him all flattened their ears and bared their teeth as it dawned on them that the 'stone' was an unconscious wolf.

Unbeknownst to the savage ones they silently stalked forward, the rain helping in covering any scent and sound that might arise, and encircled them before finishing them off.

Back in the heart of the territory, the unconscious wolf was being wheeled into the medical house on a gurney. The alpha and beta saw that it was a young female who was injured and exhausted. She looked normal and was therefore not considered a threat but was most likely just lost or she had been running from the savage ones for a while.

"How old do you think she is?" Luna Annobel asked the doctor once they were in an emergency room.

The doctor looked at the female back and forth as she prepared an IV while a nurse dried her off and warmed her up. "Judging by her size she should be around seventeen." She answered after a while, to which the luna nodded while her mate and the beta stood watching from the doorway.

"Why is she still in wolf form?" the beta asked curiously.

The doctor adjusted the IV before he answered, "Well, her back leg is quite swollen which means it's most likely broken, and shifting back into her human form may cause damage and she's been exposed to the elements for a long while so her best chance of survival is staying in wolf form. Her body will heal and strengthen faster that way." Satisfied with her answer he turned and left the room.

The alpha stayed by the doorway as he watched the wolf. He wanted to know who she was, where she was from, and mostly, why she was in the ravine. But he was not one to stand idly and wait. "Let me know when she wakes up," he said as he lifted himself off the wall and escorted his mate back to the house.

"Hello?" A sweet little voice came through the phone.

The doctor was momentarily confused as she tried to figure out who answered, "James?" she asked.

"Yes", the sweet voice answered.

"Hi, James, will you please give the phone to your father? Tell him it's Doctor Maxwell."