The Dare

Four pairs of eyes trained their sight on Lakshya. Three with excitement. And one with a feeling of dread. Lakshya had a look of determination on his face. For the first time, Sanskaar was regretting making the punishment worse than the bet.

When the dinner table conversation steered towards the upcoming nuptials, Lakshya's eyes lit up.

"I want to join the kids in their sangeet performance," Sujata said, smiling brightly as she practically bounced out of her chair.

"Control yourself. Don't forget you are the aunt of the groom. Not the bride," Ram said, holding her hand and dragging his wife back into her chair.

"I may be the aunt of the groom, but I am not old. I got married too young. You were the one who was old," Sujata complained shoving his hand away.

"Sujju," Ram said making a sad face, "You take everything seriously. You are still my child bride."

"Don't try to butter me up, it is not going to work," Sujata warned him.

"Chachu, you know you are the only romantic couple in this family," Lakshya cut in.

"See, even he notices it," Ram said trying to hold Sujata's hand.

"Hey! How can you say that?" Adarsh said quickly, seeing Pari give him a glare.

"Bhai, you let it be. Your idea of romance is getting Chinese food for Pari Bhabhi," Lakshya said casually.

"It is her favorite!" Adarsh said looking affronted. Pari rolled her eyes.

"See Maa, this is what happens," Lakshya said.

"Why are you pulling me into this?" Annapurna asked.

"It is because of you and Papa that Bhai doesn't know any romance," Lakshya said.

"What does it have to do with us?" Annapurna asked looking at her husband.

"Lakshya," Durgaprasad cautioned in a quiet voice.

"But it is true," Lakshya said pushing on, "We have never seen the two of you romance, so how can we learn it?"

"Lakshya," Durgaprasad warned loudly.

"Lakshya, do you have no shame. How can you say such things?" Annapurna asked. Her face showing the range of emotions she was feeling: shock, anger and embarrassment.

"There are somethings that are more appropriate to be displayed in the married couples own private room," Savita said gently trying to maintain calm.

"Kaki, what about Chachu displaying it in public?" Lakshya persisted.

Sanskaar watched Lakshya cautiously. Today Lakshya was either going to win the bet or get beaten up by Bade Papa–beaten up really badly. There was going to be no middle path. The trouble was that he wasn't sure what he wanted to wish for.

"Lakshya!" Durgaprasad yelled, standing up so quickly that his chair fell down.

Lakshya took a deep breath. He was most likely going to get slapped in the next minute. But the alternative was worse. He needed to do this. Or die trying. He took a deep breath, "Papa, I am going to get married soon. You wouldn't want me to make your daughter-in-law unhappy like Adarsh Bhai does."

"What!" Adarsh exclaimed jumping out of his own chair, "I will have you know I take very good care of Pari." He turned to his wife, "Tell him, Pari! Tell him!"

"Calm down," Annapurna said standing up, "No one is going to be unhappy. She is a really nice girl and she will not complain."

"Maa, you and Papa have taught us everything right from childhood. You have taught us to walk, talk, read...," Lakshya said putting on the sincerest and emotional expression. It wasn't tough. He was feeling both those things even if the reason was completely different. "We look up to you for everything. So why cannot we look up to you for this."