That Type (Starrk Coyote/OC)

A oneshot with Starrk Coyote, Primera Espada.  Hope you like!

“Hey. Wake up.”

Starrk Coyote shifted in his sleep, burying his face deeper into the pillows. A hand shook his shoulder.

“Don’t go back to sleep. Hello? Are you even awake?”

No response, resulting in more shaking. Starrk subconsciously prepared himself for some sort of violent method of waking him up, forgetting for a moment that the voice bothering him did not belong to Lillinette. It wasn’t until he felt another body flop down among the cushions next to him that he opened his eyes, meeting a pair of bright brown ones.

“Oh, you’re up,” the girl piped, supporting herself on her elbows. Her black kimono and dark hair contrasted greatly with the pristine whiteness of the pillows, as well as virtually everything else in the cold, dead, palace. It was ironic that the one dark thing in Las Noches, a place named for the nights, didn’t belong there. Sighing deeply into his pillow, Starrk asked tiredly, “What do you want?”

“I’m bored. Talk to me.”

“Why do you want me to talk to you? I’m an arrancar. Two days ago you were fighting me.”

“And then you dragged me here, where I’ve got nothing to do,” the Soul Reaper finished with a roll of her eyes.

“I couldn’t leave you in the Living World, or Aizen would have found out someone saw me while I was there. It would be a pain to deal with.”

“Isn’t it more of a pain to deal with me here?”

He stared at her, aggravated. “Would you prefer that I killed you?”

“No thanks, I’m good,” was the hurried reply.

“That’s what I thought.”

It was blissfully quiet for a while, and then she spoke up again. “Do you sleep around?”

Starrk looked up, floored. “What?”

“Well, you seem like the type,” she persisted.

“Are you sure we’re talking about the same kind of ‘sleeping’?”

“Yeah.”

Sighing, Starrk ran a hand through his hair. “Listen, niña—”

“It’s Maya Nakao. Tenth Company.”

“Maya, then. What makes me seem like the promiscuous type?”

“The scantily-clad girl arrancar that’s always bugging you.”

“Lillinette’s like a sister, not like that.”

“You always talk slowly in a low voice, and you lounge around looking all—” Maya stopped abruptly, and Starrk raised a brow.

“Looking all what?” he prompted. Hesitating, Maya shook her head.

“Never mind.”

“Tell me.”

“Forget it.”

“If you don’t, I’m going back to sleep.”

“No, wait! I was going to say…sexy.”

A smile played at the corners of his lips as he repeated, “You think I’m sexy.”

He cheeks flamed. “…A little.”

Chuckling under his breath, Starrk sat up and leaned forward until his mouth was right by her ear, one hand resting lightly on her arm. “I’m flattered, señorita Maya,” he murmured lowly, his lips brushing her ear as he spoke. Time stood frozen for a moment, and then he pulled back to see her flushed face, grinned, and flopped back down on the pillows. A minute later, she shoved him.

“You jerk! You are that type!”

“Don’t push me, niña. “

“It’s Maya. Give me my sword, I’m leaving.”

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” he mumbled into his pillow.

“Why not? I fought you, and you weren’t that big a deal.”

“I was holding back, niña.”

“Maya. And even if you were, I could probably take you.”

“You still don’t know who I am, do you?”

Maya furrowed her brows. “What do you mean?”

“Nothing,” he told her, reaching over to tug her arm. “Lie down. You’re quieter when you’re sleeping.”

“Uh, no. After what you did earlier, I’m not giving you a chance to pull anything,” Maya replied matter-of-factly. “I was right when I thought you were that ty—Whoa!”

There was a thump as he swept her supporting arm out from under her and pulled her against his chest in the same moment that she collapsed beside him, letting out an indignant cry as she did so.

“Get off me, you stupid perverted arrancar!”

“I’m not on you. Be quiet.”

“I am this close to letting loose a binding spell,” Maya pouted.

“Don’t,” he told her seriously. “The reiatsu will draw attention to you.”

“All I have to do is defeat you and blow out of here if that happens.”

“You’re not going to defeat me,” Starrk sighed. Keeping one armed wrapped around the girl’s waist, he clamped one of the fingers of his glove between his teeth to pull it off, exposing the number inked into the back of his hand. She stopped squirming the moment she saw it, eyes expressing a mixture of fear and awe.

“You know what espadas are?” Starrk presumed.

“Yeah.”

“Then there you have it.” Settling into the cushions again, he closed his eyes. Maya was quiet. After a few minutes of silence, he peered over her shoulder at her face. “What’s wrong?”

Maya glanced back at him and smiled, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. “It’s nothing.” Starrk frowned.

“Do you think I can’t recognize a lonely smile?” he probed. Maya’s smile disappeared, and she sighed.

“I’m sorry. I’m a little bit scared. And I miss my captain.” The arms around her squeezed a bit.

“I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Thanks. I still want to see my captain, though.”

“…Is that tenderness I’m hearing?”

Maya giggled. “We’re kind of close. He kissed me once.”

“Puppy love?”

“N-no,” she blushed.

“Sure it isn’t.”

“It’s not!”

“Either way, I’ve got even more incentive not to give you back.”

“Why?”

Turning her towards him, Starrk tilted her head upwards and came so close their lips brushed.

“Would you like to know?” he smirked.

“Stupid Starrk. Get to the point, you perverted arrancar,” Maya grumbled, face reddening as she spoke. Starrk chuckled deep in his throat.

“I’m getting there, niña.”

He closed the gap.