Chapter Six: Other Siblings

Marcel

Girls arguing, especially two girls with exceptional power, were the scariest things to watch argue.

"I didn't mean to Jules! I don't even know what happened!" Rachel stressed, crying as her skin bared a powerful glow. She stood in the corner of the bedroom rubbing her arms up and down in a panic, tears streaming down her cheeks. Jules was standing screaming at her, hand on her hip with the other hand waving about furiously. Over her shoulder was a damp flannel she'd been using on Caleb for the last hour or so, dampening the white shirt she'd worn so it was slightly see through. You could just about see the top of her light pink bra.

Caleb lay on the bed, completely out from whatever Rachel had done to him. The feather burn on his arm was aglow, like a luminous tattoo, but burnt on against his wishes.

What had Rachel done?

I wanted to comfort her, but after having seen the state of the back room and the very fact that her boyfriend, a former almighty and powerful demon, was lying unconscious on the bed in front of me dissuaded from touching my best friend whilst she was still projecting power.

I'd said nothing since arriving at hers and Caleb's house half an hour ago, after she called me in a frenzy, saying she'd 'exploded and burned the room down'. I didn't want to say anything to set her off again.

Jules however, didn't seem to give a shit about Rachel's unpredictable powers.

"You lost control, you emotional wreck!" she hissed, dabbing some of her special ointment on the cuts marking Caleb's skin. Despite having burnt downstairs to a crisp, Caleb was somehow unscathed- bar his new mark- surviving Rachel's explosion of power with some minor cuts and bruises. He'd gained conscious a little while ago, but after a bunch of rambles, something about burning to death in a escapeless room, and Rachel triggering his burn, he'd passed out again.

"Emotions heighten everything" Jules seethed, dabbing her brother's forehead. "In your 'current state' of course you wouldn't be able to control whatever powers you have."

"My current state?" the crying Rachel snapped back. "What's that supposed to mean, huh?"

Jules sighed, realising she'd over stepped the mark and put down the flannel she'd been using the dab Caleb's forehead. "Rachel look-"

But Rachel wasn't listening.

"My mother is dead and my long gone dad just re-entered my life" she screeched, waving her arms about like a maniac. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd been friends with this girl for most of my life, then her now luminous blue eyes would have freaked me the fuck out. "How would you be feeling if you were me?!"

Jules just threw her a sarcastic glare. "My mother abandoned me when I was a kid and my Dad is literally the devil-"

"Oh just shut up and heal him!" Rachel screamed, sparks flying from her finger tips. The bedside lamp flickered a little, and a gust of wind blew the door partly open. I was scared as fuck, but Jules seemed to have completely missed this and growled furiously in response.

These two were definitely not a force to be reckoned with.

Rachel stood sulking in the corner, her skin still aglow but her eyes having returned to their usual look, whilst Jules leant over her passed out brother, tending to his injuries and applying a new ice pack every thirty seconds to take away the burning sensation she said was still very much present in his veins.

The only sound to be heard was the stressed breathing of Caleb, who seemed to be in such pain.

With an awkward silence settling in the room, I took this as my chance to speak.