Chapter One

Chapter One

~

Gilbert watched Anne walk away from him with tears in his eyes.

She rejected me.

There was no ring or fancy poetry like Roy's proposal but he had poured out his heart to her and now it was broken, into a million tiny shards that he couldn't piece back together.

He gripped the wooden railing of the bridge until his knuckles turned white and sighed, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Why must you torture me so?" He whispered to himself.

Without another thought, Gilbert slammed his fist into the wood and winced. He took a deep breath and walked back to his house, determined that he would not be weak and he would win her heart, no matter how long it took.

But how? Was the only thought running through his head.

~

Anne burst through the door of Green Gables and ran up to her room, throwing herself onto her bed. At this point in time she was glad that Marilla wasn't home but Davy and Dora had witnessed her fly in through the front door like a mad man.

She sobbed and let the tears fall.

"Why... did he have to... go and ruin our friendship... by proposing?" She choked out between sobs.

She liked Gil more than anyone and there was no one else who could make her smile the way he did, but she didn't love him that way.

He wanted someone who would adore him and be happy to just hang on his arm. I can't be that girl.

But what she didn't understand was why she felt so lost and confused. Anne couldn't pinpoint the feeling because she wasn't familiar with it. Throwing the covers over herself, she buried her face in her pillow and wept.

Anne didn't know what she felt, but it was quite simple...

She was just falling hopelessly in love.

~