Chapter 6

Connlan went back to his truck and pulled in front of his house. He walked to the back of the house to a small storage shed. He rummaged through, making a pathway. He grabbed an old cooler that they used to take fishing and loaded it into the back of his truck bed. He went back in a grabbed an old wooden rocking chair from when he was a baby, a few old wool blankets for baby cattle in the winter, and a small little end table he found. He loaded it all into the back of his truck again and went back to the shed where Adira was.

He grabbed the chair and table and carried them into the shed. "Adira, it's me Connlan. Come to the opening. He handed the chair up to her and then the table. He went back out and grabbed the blankets and went up to the loft. He helped Adira make a layer of hay and place one of the blankets over it. They laid the other blanket over it for a sheet. They set the table under the small window for light and they hay bed was next to the table. Adira put the rocking chair in the corner where it could still reach light but was secluded.

Connlan left Adira up there and went back down. He drove back to town and stopped at the general store. He grabbed a pack of water, a bag of ice, and a few snacks. He found a few magazines and game books and bought them. He went back once again and filled the cooler with the ice and water. He gave Adira the magazines and game books and set the cooler and snacks in the shade so they would stay out of the sun. "Are you good until dinner?"

"Yes. Thank you so much Connlan."

"Your welcome. I have to go help my dad in the fields now. I will be back after I eat dinner and bring you something. So don't fill up on those snacks."

Adira sat at the table and read the instructions on how to complete a Sudoku puzzle. She found a pen in the book that Connlan had put in there and completed the puzzle. She then laid down in the hay bed and took a short nap or she thought.

Connlan woke Adira up when he came up to give her dinner. He laid a paper plate with mashed potatoes, corn and turkey on it, on the table. He handed her a fork and spoon. She got up and kneeled by the table. She ate her food rather fast and sat back down on the bed.

Connlan came over and sat next to her on the bed. He pulled out a deck of UNO cards from his back pocket. "Have you ever played UNO before?"

"No. Never."

"I'll teach you then." Connlan dealt out the cards and showed Adira how to play. The two of them played back and forth laughing at each other when they had to draw cards.

"Well it's time for me to go to bed. My parents should be coming home soon from card night in town. I have church in the morning and breakfast in town. I will bring you some toast and juice in the morning. Is there anything else you need or want?"

"Do you have any books? I like to read."

"Yes, I have some in my room. I will bring you some tomorrow morning with your breakfast. I am going to go grab a pillow for you real quick."

He came back and handed her the pillow. "Good night Adira."

"Good night Connlan."

Connlan leaned over and kissed Adira on the forehead. "You are safe here. Don't worry."