LIFE AS IT IS

BROOKYLN, NY 12/31/17

11:58 P.M

"quick get the grapes!" someone yelled "NO get the beans, we need the beans!" another yelled.

Everyone was running back and forth trying to get ready for the big event. Mrs. clemtine ran around looking for salad, her brown wavy neat hair slowly looked like a birds nest. Mrs. Clemintine told me the other day that eating salad on New years meant you would gain a lot of money. Ms. bearl was running around opening each door because supposably opening all the doors on new years eve meant you would let all the negativity out the door. My grandmother although she doesnt like to be called that name-

FLASHBACK TO 2013

"Grandma, how come mommy and daddy never come home till late at night?"

"oh honey, your mother and father are busy working"

"So late? i never get to see them"

"lets talk about something else? like the fact that you call me grandma"

"But thats what im suppose to call you"

"says who?"

"My teacher, she said that you call your mommy's mommy grandma"

"Balony!, you call me ruth!"

"Your names not Ruth! It's Jenine"

"True but Ruth sounds more like me. You know only my friends and really special people get to call me Ruth" Her pink cheecks popped out as she smiled.

"Okay gra - Ruth how was your day?"

"Thats more like it!"

11:59 P.M

Ruth was outside walking around the street with her luggage.

My mother shouted " MOM, GET BACK INSIDE THE HOUSE, ITS NOT SAFE THEY MIGHT CATCH YOU OUT THERE!"

"DONT WORRY ABOUT ME! IM DOING THIS SO YOU AND KAYLA CAN TAKE A TRIP TO THE REFUGEE CAMP!" She responded.

Every New year Ruth would walk around the block with her suitcase because that meant we would take a trip in the new year, and the trip we really been wanting to go to was to the refugee camp.

I walked down to the kitchen were i saw Mrs. blanch. Her eyes were red and her face was covered in tears, It's amazing how someone can turn from being so happy to so miserable. Just an hour ago Mrs. Blanch was putting on her pearls and her black high - low dress that she's been dying to wear. I remember seeing her face when she got the dress, the new Barneys New York just opened up only 20 minutes away from our house.

FLASHBACK TO 2015

As I uas playing I overheard my mother and Mrs. Blanch, or aunti, talking in the hallway. I peeked my head on the side of the wall and listened.

"You can't seriously be thinking of going out there" my mother said with a worried look on her face"

"Carol, i know it's dangerous and i know your just looking out for me and i appriciate that i really do. Jack is - (stuttering) Jack isn't doing well, he doesnt ; he doesn't sleep he doesn't act like himself anymore."

"I know, i know this has been hard on you and jack, loosing his sister like that was just horrible but are you really okay with risking yourself? If something happens to you while your out there i don't think jack can go on, your the last thing that jack has"

"That's why i want to do this! Todays our anniversary and i want to do something special. I don't want him to see me in my beat up overalls and my messy hair in a pony tail".