15th November 1956

Today dad couldn't go to work because he was quite ill. Well very ill. Mum said not to be scared because he will be fine. But I know he won't be fine. He keeps coughing and puking. It's not nice seeing him like this. It was ment to be the day when dad got money but because he was ill he couldn't collect the money. We were going to use the money to buy some milk so we could have something to drink and bake with. I have a very big family, five sisters and three brothers. Believe me you do NOT want to many brothers or sisters, its mayhem. If dad won't get the money next week we might have to go to the WORKHOUSE. Dad told us stories about the workhouse, they sounded horrible, my grandad went there but because he had some relatives that we rich he got taken out by them. My big sister is sad all the time. She is sad about Millie. Millie was around the same age as her but one year younger. She was her first sister. she was so happy to have a sister she tried so much to keep her safe. When I was born we started to grow cress that Millie would sell in the streets. One very, very cold morning she went outside to sell and she took longer then normal. My big sister went to check where she was and she found her frozen to death. She said it was horrible. That is why she is so sad.

                            ROSE